MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Yellow Bird Sings, plus links to write your own review.

by Jennifer Rosner

The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner X
The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner

Mar 2020, 304 pages
    Mar 2, 2021, 304 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Yellow Bird Sings

Marie A. (Warner, NH)

THE YELLOW BIRD SINGS
As the atrocities of war and its effects rage on, a mother and her five year old daughter are secreted for safekeeping in a barn in Poland. Silence, stories and song are used by Roza to protect her daughter. The yellow bird is imaginary, and his song plays in Shira's mind as she silently remembers her experiences with music--past and present. This device keeps the child and mother connected even when they are separated.

This story is filled with beautiful imagery and symbolism. the reader is also made aware of the following: love, music, connection, hope, and survival throughout the worst of times.
Julie M. (Golden Valley, MN)

A Mother's Love
Roza and her daughter Shira escape to the countryside when everyone they love is captured by the Germans. This is a moving story of their survival and the sacrifices a mother makes in the best interest of her child. I liked that the novel gave both Roza and Shira's perspectives. The ending may have seemed a bit contrived,but overall a worthwhile read especially if you like WWII historical fiction.
Lil C. (Chestertown, NY)

Hope wrapped in Music
Another Holocaust novel. Jennifer Rosner tells the story from a survivor's resilient heart with hope wrapped in a Yellow Bird and music. Play "Dryades et Pan" or "Max Bruch Violin Concerto no. 1 G minor" as your book club discusses Roza's choices. Then be silent for one minute.

In today's world there are lessons to be remembered. I was left sad for us.
Joane W. (Berlin, MD)

The Yellow Bird Sings
The Yellow Bird Sings is a wonderful book depicting how music can heal broken spirits in the most horrific of times. The yellow bird represents an imagined entity that exudes sanity, comfort and safety during a time of bewildering horror. I truly enjoyed this book.
Susan S. (Springdale, AR)

The Yellow Bird Sings
She and her mother are hiding from the Germans in a cold, drafty barn. She is 5 years old, Jewish, hungry, scared, and has only her imaginary yellow bird to occupy her days. Not the typical life of a child. A music prodigy whose father has just been killed by the Nazis, she has learned how to silence her mind and body to avoid detection. This ability serves her well throughout her life.
I enjoyed the mixture of minute descriptions to bring scenes to life combined with general references to what could have been very graphic events which are left to the imagination. I appreciated the timeline notations to move the story along through the years. I especially liked the way the reader is able to formulate the ending. I think this could easily be a young adult book.
Freya H. (Towanda, PA)

The Yellow Bird Sings
While this book is hard to read at times, it is also inspirational. Music plays such an important role throughout the entire story, and it's magical.
Florence K. (Northridge, CA)

The Yellow Bird Sings
This is a beautiful but brutal book about a Jewish mother and young daughter caught in Poland during the horror of World War II. The author some fresh and unhackneyed themes into play: keeping a five-year-old child completely quiet while mother and daughter are hiding in a hayloft; the musical genius of the child; the imaginary yellow bird whose "singing" stands for the music in the little girl's head; the long and painful separation of the parent and child. it's happening today
as well!

The writing is crisp, clear, wonderfully descriptive, and heart rending. The plot delves into both the best and worst of humanity under perilous conditions. A thought-provoking read indeed.
Nancy G. (Naples, FL)

Pros and Cons
I had high hopes for this book but found that the development of important plot elements just didn't seem plausible to me. Some components of the novel were successful however, so I will touch on those first. This author was very good atmospherically. She was able to create an environment that balanced an almost mystical sense of the ordinary within a situation fraught with stress and danger. Her two main characters were capably delineated and their close relationship to each other was explored very realistically without being reduced to sentimentality. The main concept behind the narrative was based on a solid idea. What didn't work for me was the implausibility of some of the plot lines and the personal behavior of the characters driving the narrative. I also found the historical references a little cursory. While they were all accurate, they were very basic and reflected only limited research.

This was an easy read but I probably wouldn't recommend this book to anyone when there are other books on the same topic out there that are so much better. Sophie's Choice for one.The Yellow Bird Sings never fully engaged me emotionally.

• Book Jacket: Hamnet
    Hamnet
    by Maggie O'Farrell
    William Shakespeare's name is never used in Hamnet — a conspicuous absence around which Maggie...
  • Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...

Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy

An instant bestseller set on the brink of catastrophe, for readers of Flight Behavior and Station Eleven.

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M