MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Father of Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Father of Lions

One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo

by Louise Callaghan

Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan X
Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan

• Published:
    Jan 2020, 400 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Father of Lions

Paula B. (Albuquerque, NM)

Desperate Desire
This story of human resilience, in the face of religious fanaticism, shows that survival in the worst circumstances is possible, if neither predictable nor perfect. The author impresses the grinding reality of war upon the reader, with a few positive results,but there is no fairy tale ending. The futility of much that the characters work to achieve makes this a disheartening tale. Humanity is happiest and most confident when we believe we control at least part of our life. War proves to these characters that they have no control and that whatever success they achieve is merely the result of random events. A savior of sorts appears to help the father of lions, but he too is subject to the illogical, whimsy of petty officials and the military. Although the book may masquerade as a feel good book, it is not. It is an expose' of the helter skelter nature of life, exacerbated by war.
Peggy K. (San Marcos, CA)

Desert zoo
Abu Laith had a dream. This poor mechanic wanted to create a zoo in Mosul right in the middle of a war. Nothing would stop him despite the cultural dislike of animals.

What slowly became a reality became a race to save these animals in the aftereffects of war. With the help of a sympathetic scientist he is able to succeed and this book is his story.

A well written, if a bit slow, tale. Readers 16 and up may enjoy this story. Book clubs may want to talk about home grown zoos.

• Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...

The Sun Down Motel
    by Simone St. James

The chilling new novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I