MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Father of Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Father of Lions

Jan 2020, 400 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Father of Lions

Gayle C. (Harris, MN)

Living in a war zone
A tough read for me, not just because of the animals and what happened to them. The story about the people and living in a war zone controlled by brutal and insane people -- one army of them after another -- was eye-opening and awful. The fact that the story was told in a factual way that almost made it seem like the backstory to the zoo and not intended to sound horrifying only made me understand better how life could be lived under those conditions. The risks people must take to eat, live, protect family, and protect what's important to them is wrenching and inspiring.
Suzanne G. (Tucson, AZ)

Not a typical story—
This book has a story that is not only informative but interesting and has been well written. The research is evident. I had no problems understanding this is a true story. It confirmed the frightening times those who worked with the Father of Lions had while saving the zoo animals. The character listing was appreciated since the names were so unfamiliar. Learning about the region gave me a better knowledge of the citizens of the Middle East. I liked the book and found there was often humor. I think most anyone can enjoy it.
Gloria F. (York, PA)

A great read for lovers of animals and current events
Thank you, Louise Callaghan, for preserving the story of Abu Laith in "Father of Lions: One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo." It is wonderful to read how people who love animals can all come together to save them, especially during a conflict that puts their lives at risk. But this story is about more than animals. It's also about how the people who lived in Mosul endured the fighting and destruction of their city. It gives the reader a much-needed prospective on life in a war zone.
Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI)

Father of Lions
This was a very interesting book. As I started reading, I thought I would be reading a book devoted entirely to animals. Instead I was thrown into the horrors associated with the Iraqi war. I learned a lot about the history, traditions, and people of Iraq.

I enjoyed the book. I had trouble getting into it, and never really formed an attachment to the main characters, but it told a riveting story. The book's main focus was on saving the Mosul zoo and it's animals, and the telling of this event led to a moving and satisfying conclusion.
Susanna K. (Willow Street, PA)

Historical
This title was captivating - a Zoo in Mosul being saved! Very catchy and inviting to a reader who loves zoos and wondered how it was saved in a place that was decidedly a war zone! The pages that followed were an immersion in the horrors of the Iraqi-Islamic State confrontation centered in this city. How the people tried to protect themselves from the rules Isis enforced was beyond comprehension. During all this chaos and fear, one man persevered trying to save his beloved animals. At times you will be cheering, at others holding your breath. All in all it is a good read!
Valerie C. (Chico, CA)

Good, but the foreign names are hard to follow at first
I did not find this book terribly engaging. It is well written and researched.
Paula B. (Albuquerque, NM)

Desperate Desire
This story of human resilience, in the face of religious fanaticism, shows that survival in the worst circumstances is possible, if neither predictable nor perfect. The author impresses the grinding reality of war upon the reader, with a few positive results,but there is no fairy tale ending. The futility of much that the characters work to achieve makes this a disheartening tale. Humanity is happiest and most confident when we believe we control at least part of our life. War proves to these characters that they have no control and that whatever success they achieve is merely the result of random events. A savior of sorts appears to help the father of lions, but he too is subject to the illogical, whimsy of petty officials and the military. Although the book may masquerade as a feel good book, it is not. It is an expose' of the helter skelter nature of life, exacerbated by war.
Peggy K. (San Marcos, CA)

Desert zoo
Abu Laith had a dream. This poor mechanic wanted to create a zoo in Mosul right in the middle of a war. Nothing would stop him despite the cultural dislike of animals.

What slowly became a reality became a race to save these animals in the aftereffects of war. With the help of a sympathetic scientist he is able to succeed and this book is his story.

A well written, if a bit slow, tale. Readers 16 and up may enjoy this story. Book clubs may want to talk about home grown zoos.

• Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...
  • Book Jacket: Celestial Bodies
    Celestial Bodies
    by Jokha Alharthi
    One typically expects to find a detailed family tree adorning the opening pages of, say, an epic ...
  • Book Jacket: All-American Muslim Girl
    All-American Muslim Girl
    by Nadine Jolie Courtney
    16-year-old Allie (Alia) Abraham, with her fair coloring, has always been able to "pass" for an All-...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Welcome to the Pine Away Motel and Cabins
    by Katarina Bivald

A heartwarming story of love, friendship, and the art of living.

Creatures
    by Crissy Van Meter

Set on the eve of an island wedding, this provocative debut novel exerts a pull as strong as the tides.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win American Dirt

"A Grapes of Wrath for our times." - Don Winslow

This debut is already being hailed as a new American classic, and is the first book to receive a perfect 5-stars from BookBrowse reviewers!

V I T S Of L