MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Father of Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Father of Lions

Jan 2020, 400 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Father of Lions

Rene M. (NC)

Make Room On Your Bookshelf
When I start reading a new book if the words flow smoothly and the author captures my attention then there is a good chance the rest of the book will follow suit. This book does not disappoint. Louise Callaghan did her homework and pieced together a true story that reads like a novel. I encourage any reader, no matter how they feel about zoos in general (pro or con) to read this story because it about so much more. There was one part in the story where the reader is introduced to Dr. Amir, the vet who plays a vital role in animal rescues. The essence of the book is captured in the thoughts of Dr. Amir when he thought that if people cared for animals, they should care for humans, and if they cared for humans, they should care for animals. Kindness should not be divided. Too often we chose one side and neglect the other.

Make room on your bookshelf because this first book by Louise Callaghan is a must-read.
Paula K. (Champaign, IL)

A Rich Portrait of Life Under A Siege
Louise Callaghan has written an excellent and very readable book that, while focusing for the most part Abu Laith and his efforts to protect the animals of the Mosul Zoo during the long ISIS occupation, is so much more than a portrait of how ordinary citizens coped during that time. Like the caged animals, Moslawnis primarily were confined to their homes, whether by edict or choice. Women, especially those who were not young children or old, were vulnerable to the whims of the invaders, in spite of having to cover every part of their bodies except their eyes. Callaghan draws in her readers so that we experience the hardships, the tensions, and the quiet courage of people who could have been us. Father of Lions will speak to a wide range of readers, and will continue to haunt me.
Beverly D. (Palm Harbor, FL)

eye-opening!
Trying to live a "normal" life in Mosul during the Daesh occupation, the main character, Abu Laith, focused on saving the animals in the Mosul zoo...his special friends...sometimes to the detriment of his family. The research and commitment of the author to take the reader to an unknown place was astonishing. To get this perspective on the Taliban occupation was educational as well as necessary. The families whose stories are told here bring us into their nightmare. Highly recommended for book clubs that enjoy non-fiction.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Humanity Prevails
Louise Callaghan did a wonderful job writing a story that is over a thousand miles away yet it can certainly be applied anywhere in the world and still seem so foreign to many of us. The story is very well written in where you can certainly sympathize with all the characters. Each one has a story that intertwines with Abu Laith - the main character in the story. His love of animals began at a young age and it allowed him to be passionate during a most tumultuous time in his life. This story took a nasty part of war and showed us a small bit of humanity, that at times was torn apart but still prevailed.
Diane Y. (West Chester, PA)

Father of Lions: Storytelling at Its Best
Louise Callaghan devoted a big chunk of her life to tracking down this true story and writing it. I, for one, am grateful. The backdrop of Iraq during Isis' reign was horrifying. I now have a much better understanding of the impact of their inhumane tactics on the citizens. The food shortage, constant attacks and unpredictable checkpoints made survival a huge challenge. Abu Laith, one of the most unique characters I've "met", loved his lion Zombie beyond reason. Despite the circumstances of his large immediate family, he did everything humanly possible to make sure Zombie and the other abandoned zoo animals survived. The facts are not Disneyesque, just real and often unsavory. This journalistic masterpiece is detailed yet intriguing. I found myself returning to its pages when I should have been doing my own chores.
Dorinne Dobson

A Book for Animal Lovers
This is nonfiction: the true story of the evacuation of the Mosul Zoo. Imad, also known as Abu Laith which means Father of Lions, is a car mechanic and the self-proclaimed zookeeper of the Mosul Zoo. Abu Laith does not have formal training in taking care of lions and bears, but he is an animal lover who is especially fond of lions. The story takes place from 2014 when ISIS took control of Mosul and 2017 when the Iraqi forces retook the city of Mosul, and the description of life under ISIS occupation is particularly interesting. The fight to survive with limited food amid shelling and bombing is difficult for humans, and almost impossible for caged animals in the zoo. Amidst all the angst of living in a war zone, the story is told with humor and pathos. I enjoyed reading this book.
Jane Haase

Father of Lions
This was a very compelling true account of love and loyalty during the time of war. The author did a great job of setting the scene of what these people were facing from their physical location in a crossfire of war. It was chilling to me how the residents just accepted their fate and adjusted to live through this episode just like they had others until they could return to some normality. The acceptance of what was happening around them was mind boggling. The main character’s devotion to his zoo animals through everything as well as the non profit rescue organization’s determination to get them out was inspiring on so many levels. It is truly a lesson in deciding what is possible for an individual to accomplish, accepting those limitations, then pushing yourself to succeed where you can instead of just giving up.
Betty Taylor

Amazing True Story
This book is much more than a book about a zookeeper and his animals. Callaghan writes of the occupation of Mosul by Daesh, the new laws invoked that make daily life very difficult for the citizens of Mosul, the threat of constant attacks, the fear of leaving their homes in order to escape the notice of the jihadis, Iraqi history and culture.

As the fighting between the government forces and militants intensifies in Mosul, the animals in the zoo are starving. The lives of the Mosul residents are turned upside down as they now live with the constant fear of coming to the attention of the jihadis. Women who had worn western-style clothing now are required to wear the suffocating garb demanded by ISIS. A strict curfew was invoked. Food becomes scarce and very expensive. People live under the threat of constant attacks.

The story centers on Abu Laith who was always a lover of animals. He risks his life to keep the animals alive while having to make difficult decisions in order to keep his family safe. He has a special attachment to the little lion Zombie. Callaghan introduces us to Dr. Amir who is an international rescue vet that becomes aware of the dire situation of the animals in Iraq,

Callaghan performed extensive research to bring us the true story of Abu Laith and his bravery in protecting the animals of Mosul. She details the atrocities and cruelness of a country at war. But she also reveals the compassion and humaneness that can still be found among the ruins. While many thought Abu Laith should just kill the animals for meat, he refused. He truly loved and respected the animals and fought for their lives.

It was a difficult read for me. I ached for the animals who were at the mercy of humans and were fortunate to have Abu Laith fight for them. I also ached for the humans whose lives would never be normal again, people at the mercy of power-hungry, crazy people who hid under the cover of religious fanatics. It was especially painful for me as I worked with the Iraqi military and felt the aftermath of the assassination of a couple of them. Men who only wanted peace and security for their children and grandchildren.

• Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...
    Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water