MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on After She's Gone, plus links to write your own review.

After She's Gone

Feb 2019, 400 pages

Norah Piehl

There is 1 reader review for After She's Gone

escapetothebookshelf

So much mystery and intrigue with a great twist!
This was a mysterious and intriguing Swedish mystery that truly kept me gripped. It is the second book in a series but I read this without having read the first (The Ice Beneath Her) and it was completely fine as a stand alone read - although I have now ordered the first one too!

The story is told from the perspective of Malin, a police officer; Jake, a little boy who finds himself involved in the case; and later Hanne, a detective on the case who is suffering from dementia. The choice of perspectives worked really well to tell the story - you often found something out from one perspective that the other didn't yet know and so you eagerly wanted to find out what happened next.

There was so much mystery throughout the story, about various aspects of the plot. Although the story unfolded at a fairly slow pace, new evidence or events consistently arose that kept you guessing and wanting to know more. The ending of the book was brilliant - I did not suspect it at all. Even if you manage to guess who committed the crimes, I don't think you would be able to guess why - the why left me with chills. Although the story came to an end, I want to know how various character relationships progress and develop after the events in this book; I will definitely be buying the next in the series.

Grebe also dealt with some difficult themes, such as xenophobia, sexuality, alcoholism and dementia, really well in the crime context. It made the novel fairly original and enabled you to connect in different ways with various characters in the book which is normally difficult in a crime novel - Jake was one of my favourites.

One slight criticism I would have is that there were a few minor characters whom I struggled to remember and differentiate between. Grebe did try to subtly remind the reader who was who when their names popped up, but as they were typical Swedish names it was harder for an English reader to remember them. But, isn't that half the fun when you read a novel based in another country and originally written in another language! On that note, the translation was also very good - a couple of words stuck and didn't quite fit - but that's to be expected!

Overall I'd give this 5/5 - I haven't read anything like this before! It was mysterious and chilling but also thought provoking.

Refugee Resettlement in Sweden

Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W