Reader reviews and comments on Harry's Trees, plus links to write your own review.

Harry's Trees

Norah Piehl

There is 1 reader review for Harry's Trees

Linda Hutchinson

A Magical Tale
What a dazzlingly yet wonderful cast of characters we meet in Harry’s Trees by Jon Cohen. The one thing united them is grief and loss. A widow loses her husband to a sudden brain aneurysm, a husband loses his wife in a freak accident, and people all around this world wake up to loss and grief every day. Sometimes life is simply too hard. Here we have a magical story about finding yourself in the midst of despair and learning to let those we love go while simultaneously believing in the magic of a future. A future filled with love. The magical part is both metaphorical and literal in this story revolving around a little girl who believes her dead father is directing her future as a reincarnated winged bird, and her future hinges on a man falling for her widowed mother who climbs trees to restore his soul. Trees, after all, are powerful and have deep roots that make them strong and stable. Sometimes when all hope is lost…hope arrives and life begins anew. As one character states, “By its very nature, though, love is tragic. You can’t protect it.” because “That’s what life is, loving and letting go.” This is an enchanted story full of wit, wisdom, loss, and love. I also want you to know that this book made me cry and I rarely cry. I guarantee that you need to read this sweet novel; it is a book you can’t afford to pass by. Read it and weep.

Real Life Tree Houses

• Book Jacket: Savage Feast
    Savage Feast
    by Boris Fishman
    I adore authors who not only write about the big themes that possess them, but also drop little ...
  • Book Jacket: Lost Children Archive
    Lost Children Archive
    by Valeria Luiselli
    Lost Children Archive is a feast of language and storytelling that chronicles a family road trip ...
  • Book Jacket: The World According to Fannie Davis
    The World According to Fannie Davis
    by Bridgett M. Davis
    Devoted daughter Bridgett M. Davis was always inspired by her mother Fannie, who provided stability,...
  • Book Jacket: Territory of Light
    Territory of Light
    by Yuko Tsushima
    Set in Tokyo during the late 1970s, Yūko Tsushima's Territory of Light chronicles a year in the...

Book Club
The Half-Life of Everything
by Deborah Carol Gang

A beautifully written and uplifting debut novel.

The Last Romantics
    by Tara Conklin

A sweeping yet intimate epic about one American family, and the ties that bind us together.

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls
    by Anissa Gray

A dazzling debut novel!

Win The Climate Report

The Climate Report

"The most comprehensive assessment of the effects of climate change on the United States."
–The New York Times