Reader reviews and comments on The Removes, plus links to write your own review.

by Tatjana Soli

The Removes by Tatjana Soli X
The Removes by Tatjana Soli

Jun 2018, 384 pages
    Aug 13, 2019, 384 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Removes

Veronica

Historical fiction at its best
I love historical american history and couldn't wait to get started on this novel. It was very good and I couldn't put it down. The author does a fabulous job on describing Custer and his soldiers, his wife and the captured women by the Indians. The interaction between them all is written with such passion and detail. I didn't want the book to end.
Peggyt

The Removes
I too had mixed feelings about this book. It was interesting to read about Libbie Custer but with a historical novel of this type it is hard to know what is fact and what is fiction. My favorite part of this book was actually the illustrations. I really loved the end papers and the sketches on the first page of each chapter. These are based on the ledger art of Native Americans from the late 19th century. The photos added to the realism of the story too. In regard to stories of captured and returned females, I much preferred News of the World by Paulette Jiles.
Nancy Geyer

The Removes
I confess I have mixed feelings about this book. Generally speaking I don't like reading fiction that focuses on historical figures because I feel that the authors of such books manipulate reality to suit their own purposes. Such was the case with this book. Soli openly admits that she is no historian and her view of the Custers is almost totally predicated on their psyches or at least her interpretation of them. I found her writing to be choppy at times but, in many cases, that served the energy of the narrative. The two concurrent story lines didn't meld well and I often felt that I was reading 2 separate books, but the genuine descriptions of life on the frontier came alive with true authenticity and I appreciated the fact that the author never attempted to romanticize life on the plains for either of the protagonists, White or Indian.

Sitting Bull

• Book Jacket: The Flight Portfolio
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Make Friends with the Dark
    How to Make Friends with the Dark
    by Kathleen Glasgow
    Don't go to bed angry; make up after fights; always say I love you – you don't know when ...
    Red Birds
    by Mohammed Hanif
    Mohmmed Hanif's Red Birds is part Catch-22, part Slaughterhouse-Five, part Kafka's The Castle, and ...
  • Book Jacket: Endeavour
    Endeavour
    by Peter Moore
    Miriam-Webster defines a biography as "a usually written history of a person's life." One might ...

Travelers
    by Helon Habila

A startlingly exploration of the African diaspora in Europe, by an acclaimed international writer.

Patsy
    by Nicole Dennis-Benn

A haunting depiction of immigration and womanhood, and the silent threads of love.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly