Reader reviews and comments on The Removes, plus links to write your own review.

by Tatjana Soli

The Removes by Tatjana Soli X
The Removes by Tatjana Soli

Jun 2018, 384 pages
    Aug 13, 2019, 384 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Removes

Veronica

Historical fiction at its best
I love historical american history and couldn't wait to get started on this novel. It was very good and I couldn't put it down. The author does a fabulous job on describing Custer and his soldiers, his wife and the captured women by the Indians. The interaction between them all is written with such passion and detail. I didn't want the book to end.
Peggyt

The Removes
I too had mixed feelings about this book. It was interesting to read about Libbie Custer but with a historical novel of this type it is hard to know what is fact and what is fiction. My favorite part of this book was actually the illustrations. I really loved the end papers and the sketches on the first page of each chapter. These are based on the ledger art of Native Americans from the late 19th century. The photos added to the realism of the story too. In regard to stories of captured and returned females, I much preferred News of the World by Paulette Jiles.
Nancy Geyer

The Removes
I confess I have mixed feelings about this book. Generally speaking I don't like reading fiction that focuses on historical figures because I feel that the authors of such books manipulate reality to suit their own purposes. Such was the case with this book. Soli openly admits that she is no historian and her view of the Custers is almost totally predicated on their psyches or at least her interpretation of them. I found her writing to be choppy at times but, in many cases, that served the energy of the narrative. The two concurrent story lines didn't meld well and I often felt that I was reading 2 separate books, but the genuine descriptions of life on the frontier came alive with true authenticity and I appreciated the fact that the author never attempted to romanticize life on the plains for either of the protagonists, White or Indian.

Sitting Bull

• Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...
  • Book Jacket: Code Name Lise
    Code Name Lise
    by Larry Loftis
    Odette Sansom (1912 – 1995), a Frenchwoman married to a British man and living in the English ...

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!