MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Removes, plus links to write your own review.

by Tatjana Soli

The Removes by Tatjana Soli X
The Removes by Tatjana Soli

Jun 2018, 384 pages
    Aug 2019, 384 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Removes

Veronica

Historical fiction at its best
I love historical american history and couldn't wait to get started on this novel. It was very good and I couldn't put it down. The author does a fabulous job on describing Custer and his soldiers, his wife and the captured women by the Indians. The interaction between them all is written with such passion and detail. I didn't want the book to end.
Peggyt

The Removes
I too had mixed feelings about this book. It was interesting to read about Libbie Custer but with a historical novel of this type it is hard to know what is fact and what is fiction. My favorite part of this book was actually the illustrations. I really loved the end papers and the sketches on the first page of each chapter. These are based on the ledger art of Native Americans from the late 19th century. The photos added to the realism of the story too. In regard to stories of captured and returned females, I much preferred News of the World by Paulette Jiles.
Nancy Geyer

The Removes
I confess I have mixed feelings about this book. Generally speaking I don't like reading fiction that focuses on historical figures because I feel that the authors of such books manipulate reality to suit their own purposes. Such was the case with this book. Soli openly admits that she is no historian and her view of the Custers is almost totally predicated on their psyches or at least her interpretation of them. I found her writing to be choppy at times but, in many cases, that served the energy of the narrative. The two concurrent story lines didn't meld well and I often felt that I was reading 2 separate books, but the genuine descriptions of life on the frontier came alive with true authenticity and I appreciated the fact that the author never attempted to romanticize life on the plains for either of the protagonists, White or Indian.

Sitting Bull

• Book Jacket: The Vanishing Half
    The Vanishing Half
    by Brit Bennett
    Brit Bennett's second novel, The Vanishing Half (after The Mothers, her 2016 bestselling debut), ...
    Tropic of Violence
    by Nathacha Appanah
    Marie is a nurse working in Mayotte, a cluster of French territory islands in the Indian Ocean. When...
  • Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...
    Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Last Flight
by Julie Clark

The story of two women and one agonizing decision that will change the trajectory of both of their lives.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

M's T W!