MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Overstory, plus links to write your own review.

The Overstory

Poornima Apte

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Overstory

HalJordan

Life changing
I've never read a book that compelled me to come onto the internet and find out what other people thought about it, and to ask questions to better understand its meaning. I won't write a review here of the plot - its well cataloged in many places. Instead - I just wanted to tell you its beyond worth reading. I hope it becomes mandatory reading in high schools soon.
J

Remorse
Reading this book brought a revelation. It also made me very sad that it was not available to read 70 years ago. I grew up in logging country and lived in Humboldt County during the 70s, 80s and 90s when all the timber wars took place. If I had had this book to read then, I would have joined the protestors and 'tree huggers' without reservation. What a mess we humans have made. We just never know when to let well enough alone!
Tom Matamoros

Way Better Than Very Good
Overstory is an exceptional book. Richard Powers deserves to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. He is the smartest and most accomplished American novelist. I recommend all readers of literary fiction read Overstory. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Robert Walz

Moral response
This book is challenging to read. I had to re-read so I could fully appreciate the stories of each the main characters. The book also challenges with many underlying issues, issues that go to the survival of these trees and to our own survival. It is a must read for anyone that is concerned about trees or global climate change. Issues around HR 1147 is a-real life example as the Tongass Rainforest is being attacked by the Trump administration.

India's Chipko Andolan

• Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...
    Girl, Woman, Other
    by Bernardine Evaristo
    As we meet Amma, a 50-something playwright finally experiencing mainstream success in Bernardine ...
  • Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Lady Clementine
    by Marie Benedict

An illuminating look at one of history's most unusual and extraordinary women, Clementine Churchill.

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer