Reader reviews and comments on Down the River unto the Sea, plus links to write your own review.

Down the River unto the Sea

Donna Chavez

There is 1 reader review for Down the River unto the Sea

Michael Haughton

Down the River unto the Sea by Walter Mosely
The story started off with the usual description of the layout of buildings and business places. In fact, one such businesses was owned by one of the main characters.

That's when Kristoff Hale offered a twenty-year renewable lease because another cop, Gladstone Palmer, had overlooked his son Laiph Hale's involvement in the brutal attack on a woman. This short paragraph I used was merely to address the two characters that was involved in a business deal with the main character. One such character was a cop that had a son which was in the wrong side of the law.

As I continued with the first chapter I got to know the main character Detective First Class Joe King Oliver, who it seemed had a way with the ladies which seem to get him into trouble at times just because he was just hot for them.

And this brings me to the surprised way the writer place every plot and intent at a fast pace. It gave me no room to be or feel bored. The minute Joe got to this lady that stole a car from her old boyfriend house, He had her in bed.

I liked the way the writer kept me wanting to read more and more. The part of Joe being toasted with urine in his cell was great action. But the only disappointment was the use of big words as it took away some of the excitement that a lay man word would not have done. For example the word tether.

Joe King Oliver was one of the NYPD's finest investigators, until, dispatched to arrest a well-heeled car thief, he is framed for assault by his enemies within the NYPD, a charge which lands him in solitary at Rikers Island.

A decade later, King is a private detective, running his agency with the help of his teenage daughter, Aja-Denise. Broken by the brutality he suffered and committed in equal measure while behind bars, his work and his daughter are the only light in his solitary life. A big success for Mosely and a good rating from me.

• Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly