Reader reviews and comments on Down the River unto the Sea, plus links to write your own review.

Down the River unto the Sea

Donna Chavez

There is 1 reader review for Down the River unto the Sea

Michael Haughton

Down the River unto the Sea by Walter Mosely
The story started off with the usual description of the layout of buildings and business places. In fact, one such businesses was owned by one of the main characters.

That's when Kristoff Hale offered a twenty-year renewable lease because another cop, Gladstone Palmer, had overlooked his son Laiph Hale's involvement in the brutal attack on a woman. This short paragraph I used was merely to address the two characters that was involved in a business deal with the main character. One such character was a cop that had a son which was in the wrong side of the law.

As I continued with the first chapter I got to know the main character Detective First Class Joe King Oliver, who it seemed had a way with the ladies which seem to get him into trouble at times just because he was just hot for them.

And this brings me to the surprised way the writer place every plot and intent at a fast pace. It gave me no room to be or feel bored. The minute Joe got to this lady that stole a car from her old boyfriend house, He had her in bed.

I liked the way the writer kept me wanting to read more and more. The part of Joe being toasted with urine in his cell was great action. But the only disappointment was the use of big words as it took away some of the excitement that a lay man word would not have done. For example the word tether.

Joe King Oliver was one of the NYPD's finest investigators, until, dispatched to arrest a well-heeled car thief, he is framed for assault by his enemies within the NYPD, a charge which lands him in solitary at Rikers Island.

A decade later, King is a private detective, running his agency with the help of his teenage daughter, Aja-Denise. Broken by the brutality he suffered and committed in equal measure while behind bars, his work and his daughter are the only light in his solitary life. A big success for Mosely and a good rating from me.

• Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue

The Removes by Tatjana Soli

A powerful, transporting novel about the addictive intensity and freedom of the American frontier.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter