Reader reviews and comments on The Great Alone, plus links to write your own review.

The Great Alone

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Great Alone

Kelly Probst

A Great Read
I don't claim to be an avid book reader and I won't attempt to offer a 'clever critique'. This novel was passed on by a friend, we both lived in Anchorage, Alaska during the 1970's. The Great Alone did an amazing job of depicting the era and bringing the reader close into the lives of the characters. I felt like I was actually there! Also, because I recently experienced complicated grief and mourning, I knew exactly the guilt Leni felt in relation to Matthew. It was a powerful book for me and so well written. Thank you Kristin!

Fractured families and the wilderness
For those of you who have read Hannah's previous novel, do not expect a carbon copy of her work. This new book is, however, a wonderfully atmospheric and poignant look at the Alaska wilderness, PTSD, and fractured families. 13 year old old Lani Allbright is growing up in the 70's in the age of EST, Patty Hearst and Vietnam, where free love is all the rage. When her hippie parents decide to leave and move to land bestowed to them by a Vietnam buddy they hope getting away from the chaos of city life will be healing for the father and for the family as a whole. At first, it feels like this might be the answer to their prayers. With a colorful cast of characters, they plunge into a very rustic way of life yet awed by the majestic beauty of the state. However, the people keep warning them about the winter dangers and the people itself. As time goes on the winter darkness does takes hold but it becomes apparent that the real issue is not Alaska's winters but the darkness within the family. We watch Leni's growing awareness of the weakness within her family and her rising maturity regarding its dangers. Be warned-there is a lot of physical abuse in this book and for those who are sensitive to this issue, it may be a trigger. However, Hannah's beautiful prose portrays the splendor and ruggedness of a world we know too little about. It is easy to see how this world could unfurl difficulty for those running away from something. Note that this has already been optioned for film rights.

I read this book in one setting. I couldn't put it down. The characters just captured me and kept me enthralled. I visited Alaska in the 70's and the descriptions of the state are right on. Beautiful, but brutal. Just as the characters were beautiful, but brutal. I believe Kristin Hannah did it again.
Roe P

Get ready to stay up late!
Ms Hannah really knows how to tell a story. This book has it all...Adventure, Love, Tragedy, Mystery.

It takes place in the 70's in rural Alaska. At times while reading this book you actually feel like you are right there beside the characters. I read through the whole book (approx 430 pages) in a little over one day...Just could not put it down...Scheduled for release in not miss it...
Susie J

The Great Disappointment!
I so looked forward to this new book by Kristin Hannah because her previous title was so rewarding and satisfying. Unfortunately, this one is far from that - at least for me. The repetition in this book is unbelievable - how could an editor have allowed this to pass? In addition, many of the events in the book are simply too far-fetched to actually occur under the circumstances. Too much happens in too short a time or space. There are brief segments where the prose literally sings, and once I arrived at that point I took a deep breath and hoped I had passed the worst - only to be disappointed again and again. The publishing house fell far short on this one, I feel. Either that or I am asking myself who really wrote Kristin Hannah's great World War II novel of a short time ago.

the great alone
It could have been shorter -repetitious descriptive sentences of beauty and harshness of Alaska cancelled itself out. I could not care for the characters and wasn't that the purpose of the book? to be involved with the characters? Otherwise it's a travel guide.

The Bard of the Yukon

The Driest Season
    by Meghan Kenny

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony