Reader reviews and comments on Force of Nature, plus links to write your own review.

Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Force of Nature by Jane Harper X

Feb 2018, 320 pages
    Jan 8, 2019, 352 pages

There are currently 41 reader reviews for Force of Nature

Sandi W.

Five start out...four return
Jane Harper has done it again. Staying in the Australian vein, again engaging with Detective Aaron Falk, this second book of the series is another great who-done-it. Her first book, The Dry, was exceptionally good, both in story plot and writing. This second book is also outstanding.

Five woman go on a weekend corporate retreat into a forest range. Four women come back out. While five men from the same corporation are also hiking, in their own direction, they have no lasting problems. Whereas the women find trouble every step of the way. What makes it worse is that none of the women really like each other - even though two are identical twins. This weekend trip is also marred by family problems, problems for one of the men and also one of the women. Having to surrender their cell phones is bad enough, but finding out that the one phone that was sneaked in cannot pick up a signal, ends up being a point of contention.

Each chapter gives you a glimpse of the current day and also a time frame from the retreat. Aaron Falk, actually investigating the corporation for something totally different, is drawn into the missing persons case. Each chapter brings you closer to finding the missing person, but also explains how she became missing. Interesting double story process to carry all the way through the book, but Harper did a great job in pulling it off. Once you start this story it is hard to put it down.
Nanette S

Force of Nature
give it 3.5 stars. Falk and his partner, Carmen, have been assigned to obtain contracts from a company they are investigating. The one problem they are dealing with is that Alice, the woman helping them, has disappeared in the woods during her business team building weekend getaway. Do any of her coworkers know what happened, or did she do this on her own? This is the 2nd Falk book in the series and can be read on its own. Not very riveting, yet a good mystery story. There are a good number of characters mentioned with two storylines being told and the chapters are easily identified in keeping track of the two character groups. I will read the first book, The Dry, to get the back story for Aaron Falk.
Julie P

Rated 2nd to The Dry - Still Couldn't Put it Down
Spoiler Alert!
This book was a page turner. It could have been 600 pages! I loved The Dry and was excited to see Harper had published another already. Thrillers are my favourite genre and I am grateful for a new author whose books are so captivating.

I really enjoy that Harper doesn't use shock - that is such a lazy way to thrill. The back and forth in time was easy to follow and kept me reading long after I should have gone to bed.

I do feel readers were left hanging. It almost needs a sequel that ties up some loose ends and explores some potentially fascinating tales.
Where did Joel go? Margot had an interesting role. I liked the twist on Lauren, but would have liked to see more of that history. Falk's father's maps didn't offer any hidden clues, any keys to Falk solving the mystery or peek into the Kovac past. The Kovac angle was dismissed almost immediately with his death and yet it was mentioned often later on. It didn't ring realistic when characters feared Kovac when they all knew he was dead/imprisoned. Daniel was excluded completely after a couple of appearances. Falk's primary investigation was downplayed and there wasn't any satisfaction in that story. Bree and Beth's back stories were explained in too much detail and went nowhere - nothing to suggest the pair were guilty of anything or tie into the present.

The ending was a letdown. So many possibilities and the most benign and uninteresting was played out.

I had visions of Alice having escaped the wild to wreak havoc somewhere or live up to her obligations as a mother and witness, or Joel having a part in her disappearance. Daniel was a seasoned hiker and his character could have been built to be a bigger player (or more believable red herring). Jill was pretty flat - no real indication she was a suspect and no true motives. She could have been a surprise help to Falk's investigation or maybe a player to Alice's escape or maybe even the true threat to Alice.

I really did love this book, I just feel there were more interesting ways it could have played out.

I admit, I'm no literary critic. I didn't want to put the book down and I am left contemplating it long after I have read it. For those reasons, the author may well have done her job!
Nikki M. (Fort Wayne, IN)

Above-average suspense!
This novel had good strong characterization and an interesting Australian setting. I enjoyed the author's sophomore effort as much as I did the first, "The Dry", also set in Australia. I will keep an eye out for future reads from Jane Harper!
Kelli R. (Birmingham, AL)

Things Can Go Wrong in the Woods
I had the pleasure of reading Jane Harper's debut, The Dry, earlier this year but Force of Nature (book 2 in the Aaron Falk series) was even better. A multi-day corporate hiking and camping trip sounds scary enough but the drama is definitely intensified by the isolated bushland, the family drama back home, the history of serial killer in the exact same location, and the strained relationships among the co-workers. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk is still charming and there were hints of The Dry throughout as Aaron struggled to understand his relationship with his now-deceased father. I will definitely continue this series.
Dawn C. (Meridian, ID)

Force of Nature by Jane Harper
This second book in the Aaron Falk series is as good as the first, The Dry. This time there are 5 women who are on a team building hike put on by Executive Adventures. One of the women does not make it back, so in comes Aaron Falk to investigate. Great storylines, intrigue and mystery to keep you turning the pages.
Cheryl S. (Redmond, WA)

Force of Nature by Jane Harper
First of all thank you to BookBrowse for the ARC of Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I loved her first book The Dry, and was very excited to have the opportunity for an early chance to read her second book in what I hope becomes a series. I've always wanted to visit Australia and enjoy reading books set there. Ms. Harper does a great job describing the landscape. I like the main character, federal police agent Aaron Falk. This particular story was slow to build, but once it did I found it hard to put down. I would highly recommend Force of Nature, and look forward to another book and the development of Ms. Harper's main character Agent Falk.
Maribeth R. (Indianapolis, IN)

Harper Scores Another Hit
Harper comes back with a mystery just as engrossing as her first volume, The Dry. But if you read the earlier book, you'll have to make a mental shift as the weatherman has pulled a veil over the dry, arid heat permeating the first story, and now Harper places you in a cold, damp, and creepy zone. The competing story lines of corporate fraud and lost campers are not difficult to follow, and meeting up with Aaron Falk once more should be a pleasant experience for those who enjoyed The Dry. Thumbs up, and a loud call out to Harper for more, more, more.

Australia's National Parks

A Spark of Light
    by Jodi Picoult

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

The Kinship of Secrets