Reader reviews and comments on Force of Nature, plus links to write your own review.

by Jane Harper

Force of Nature by Jane Harper X
Force of Nature by Jane Harper

Feb 2018, 320 pages
    Jan 8, 2019, 352 pages

There are currently 41 reader reviews for Force of Nature

Dona N. (San Rafael, CA)

Australian Mystery with Tangled Secrets
In her new book, Jane Harper places protagonist Australian Federal Agent Aaron Falk in a very different setting than she did in "The Dry", her first novel – this time it is wet – the rainy Giralang Ranges. A woman in whom Falk and his partner have an (undisclosed) interest has gone missing during a wilderness corporate team building experience. The author gives the story line from the perspective of several different narrators in a mystery as compelling as "The Dry". The book passes my test –the reader COULD have solved the mystery with the information provided – although perhaps unlikely. There are a few references to Falk's experience in "The Dry". They are cleverly written so that reading the previous book is not a prerequisite to reading the present one, but enough to make a reader of "The Dry" feel closer to our protagonist. I enjoyed this book very much; it's another page turner that transports the reader to Australia and keeps us guessing until the end.
Deborah C. (Seattle, WA)

Force of Nature
Having read Jane Harper's first novel, The Dry, I was really looking forward to Force of Nature, and I was not disappointed! In both novels, location plays a central role in the story, and the author does an excellent job of making you feel like you are right there with the characters. Force of Nature tells the story of an unexplained disappearance during a corporate team-building exercise in the wilderness, moving back and forth in time, which heightens the tension and makes the book a real page-turner. It's a quick read, and very enjoyable. Highly recommend!
DeAnn A. (Denver, CO)

Mystery in Australian Mountains
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the return of Aaron Falk. I feel like this character is so complex and we learn a bit more about him in each book. Harper does a great job of putting the reader into the setting of each book. This time, it's in rugged mountain terrain, the Giralang Ranges, with an old unsolved murder case in the mix. A team-building retreat gone wrong ends with one of the women missing in the mountainous terrain. There is an interesting mix of characters in this book and I enjoyed speculating what happened to the missing woman. Needless to say, I was way off in my guess! It was easy for me to give this one five stars, I struggled to find a flaw. Another marvelous book in the Aaron Falk series!
Cheryl K. (Naples, FL)

Force of Nature
Having thoroughly enjoyed Jane Harper's The Dry, I was equally impressed with Force of Nature. An author who can make a reader "feel the cold of the wilderness" through her characters is an excellent writer.
Police Agent Aaron Falk returns from The Dry and is a continuing force of strength and determination. Ms. Harper's characters are by far the strongest forces driving the mystery to its unsettling, yet satisfying end.
So many surprises along the way keep the reader guessing, and wanting to continue the journey. It was a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience.
Nancy H. (Lisle, IL)

Master of the atmospheric novel
Remember how you were constantly thirsty while reading Jane Harper's debut novel "The Dry"? For her latest read, grab a warm drink and a heavy blanket before you settle in, because once again Harper has made the weather a full-ledged character of her story. In an equally thrilling story of flawed detectives and their search for clues, Harper leads us through darkness, cold and wet to a complex conclusion involving the breakdown of relationships among five women undergoing an adventure style team-building exercise. The women are finally undone by the elements and the venom of their mutual distrust.
Barbara O. (Red Bank, NJ)

Indeed A Force!
Loved the writing style of Jane Harper, moving back and forth, slowly revealing the story. Ms Harper creates strong characters juxtapositioned with a harsh and unforgiving landscape. Readers will keep turning the pages until the end. A wonderful storyteller, the author uses the modern world with all it's social issues and character flaws to tell this tale. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Norman G. (Washougal, WA)

Quick but Thought Provoking Read
Harper has written an atmospheric novel that checks all the boxes of book worth reading. The locale, the characterizations, the interplay between the people, and the twist at the end all keep the story engaging up to the conclusion. A highly recommended book.
Lauren T. (Orlando, FL)

Force of nature by Jane Harper
Two separate groups of hikers embark on a corporate retreat in the Giralang Ranges in Australia. They all return except for one. What happened to Alice? Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk and his partner Carmen Cooper are already working with Alice on another matter, and they become involved in trying to find her. This atmospheric tale builds slowly to a climax, as we alternately live through the events of the retreat with the hikers and investigate with Falk and Cooper. My test for a good read is that it must make me want to read the author's other work. I'll be reading Ms. Harper's first book, The Dry, soon.

Australia's National Parks

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
    by Hank Green

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance