What readers think of The Story of Arthur Truluv, plus links to write your own review.

The Story of Arthur Truluv

by Elizabeth Berg

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg X
The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

Nov 2017, 240 pages
    Jul 2018, 272 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Story of Arthur Truluv

Shelly B. (Staten Island, NY)

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg
This was a sweet story about three lost souls and how they find each other and mend and meld together. It is standard fare about love, loss and second chances given to all three characters, each in their own way. It is a little repetitive concerning Arthur and his going to his wife's grave every day. it was also a little predictable. it was an okay novel.
Darrell W. (Hillsboro, OR)

The Story of Arthur Truluv
Arthur Truluv is my introduction to Elizabeth Berg's writing. Her straight forward, unencumbered prose drew me quickly into the disparate lives of Arthur, Maddy and Lucille. By the end of the story, I felt rather well acquainted with the featured trio of characters. The plot allowed each one to develop as an individual and to grow into warm, loving relationships with each other. Lucille's persona jumped off the pages. Arthur's gentle nature and insight into the needs of others became a major theme. But Maddy overcame her troubled childhood with such alacrity I deemed too good to be true. I enjoyed reading the book. But without malice, I feel as if Elizabeth Berg for me is one and done.
Jo B. (DeRidder, LA)

Not typical of Berg
I enjoyed the light hearted book by seasoned author Elizabeth Berg. I've read almost all her previous books and didn't find that this one had the depth that the others did. She does a good job of having three people who are each alone and somewhat unlikely to have connected with each other, form a family unit that supports each characters needs. I would call it a light feel-good read. I think the take away is that we can all be a friend to someone and that we all have different strengths and needs. We need to be aware and open to what life brings us.
Janell C. (Ross, CA)

Te Story of Arthur Truluv
This is a sweet little predictable book; very typical of Elizabeth Berg. For readers looking for a simple, feel good beach read, you won't be disappointed. For others, looking for good, meaty literary fiction this is not your book. Some of the characters are fairly well developed and others not at all. The plot is quite contrived and all the tension that might have been explored is quickly and easily brought to not-quite-believable fairy-tale closure.
Bettie T. (Kiawah Island, SC)

Still Hungry
How can you not be charmed by an elderly widower who visits his wife's grave every day for a lunch date? The Story of Arthur Truluv is one such delightful book, which quickly pulled me in, but left me wanting more. Arthur and Maddy, the troubled teenager he "rescues", are easy to visualize (could a movie be in the offing?) I wish that I had a better sense of some of the details in their lives. Little details, like how long would Arthur have to wait for the bus home from the graveyard, and is there a covered shelter available. And big details, like how Maddy's relationship with her father and her classmates deteriorated so badly. I found the neighbor, Lucille, a bit irritating and more comic relief than a character I really wanted to get to know better. This could be a good book club selection, with discussions going into aging and bullying, for example. However I prefer my books a bit "meatier"; this was more like Lucille's orange blossom cookies; delicious but not nutritious enough for the making of a meal.
Dona

Sweet but Disappointing
I was looking forward to reading a new novel by Elizabeth Berg, but I was sorry to find it disappointing. It's a sweet tale of the relationships of a lonely widower, a solitary teenage girl, a never married neighbor lady, and a lovable cat. A nice story, but it just seems too predictable and unrealistic although the themes of acceptance, self-actualization and love are worthwhile and well developed. Maybe my problem is that I can't help comparing it to "A Man Called Ove" which has similar themes and cemetery scenes, plus a real punch of humor and three-dimensional characters conveyed in more depth.
MGB, NC

Sentimental but unrealistic
In this sweet but somewhat contrived novel Elizabeth Berg intertwines the lives of three unrelated, lonely people – an aged spinster, a dejected, bullied teenage girl, and an 80-year old recent widower. With themes of depression, marginalization, rejection, tolerance, and friendship, the author develops a righteous story of acceptance and love as the major components for what becomes a very unorthodox family. Although the characters of the spinster and widower are well developed and authentic, the circumstances and portrayal of the teenage girl seem quite forced and unrealistic. Nevertheless, the author has written a heartwarming story that promises to bring a handful of tears too.
Jan Z. (Jefferson, SD)

Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg
This book was just ok in my opinion, and pretty typical of most books by Berg. The potential for a really good story always seems to be there, but that's about as far as it goes. Story of Arthur Truluv had just a bit too much treacle to make it a good book. The characters were just a little too nice, it was predictable, and everything was nice and tidy at the end. And to make it worse, there were dead characters, and dying characters all over the place but I couldn't feel much compassion for any of them, or the survivors. The whole story was just too superficial.

Bibliotherapy

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

Lady Sunshine
    by Amy Mason Doan

One iconic family. One summer of secrets. The dazzling spirit of 1970s California.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N