MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Story of Arthur Truluv, plus links to write your own review.

The Story of Arthur Truluv

by Elizabeth Berg

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg X
The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

Nov 2017, 240 pages
    Jul 2018, 272 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Story of Arthur Truluv

Marganna K. (Edmonds, WA)

Book Club Potential
This book is a sweet, simple read with many deep thoughts and emotions to ponder. From the first page I predicted I'd enjoy this book. The story, plot line, characters are mentioned & described adequately by many of the other reviewers. My favorite parts often had to do with Gordon, the cat, & Arthur's interactions with him. Also Arthur's visits to the cemetery reading tombstones & giving us information about the person "from beyond the grave" was delightful! (I worked for a funeral home/cemetery for years).
Last year my book club members said: "Whew! We've read so many excellent, but "heavy" books -- so serious, dark, life is a struggle. Can we find an uplifting fun book?" I know those books are out there but we couldn't find what we wanted. This book would definitely qualify - a solid story, well written & presented with meaning & feeling, enough human emotions to engage our group in a discussion.
Yes, I think it's a predictable story line, a bit simple and maybe just too good to be true but sometimes I just want a good book that engages me & holds my attention. This book did that.
Martha P. (Issaquah, WA)

Sweet story
A very lovely story from one of my favorite authors. Arthur, Maddy, and Lucille, the three main characters, have all suffered major losses in their lives but together they find ways to heal. This is a quiet and introspective story of love, acceptance and support and how being there for someone can change a life. Short read. My favorite of Berg's is still The Pull of the Moon.
Sharon P. (San Diego, CA)

Sweet and touching story
I did like this book and found it a very enjoyable read. The characters were likable and the ending was sweet. however, there were a few things that didn't flush out for me...I loved Arthur's ability to hear the dead's stories and I would have loved for that to be flushed out more. Also, wasn't really sure of the connection between Arthur and his neighbor. Overall, a delight and will recommend for an easy summer read.
Celia P. (Melbourne, FL)

Three Lives Come Together
This is the story of three people who have all lost a loved one. But the three improbably come together to support each other and learn how to live again. One is Arthur, age 82, the second is Maddy, age 18, and the third is Arthur's nosy neighbor, Lucille, a spinster of undetermined old age.
Elizabeth Berg has written a lovely story and has further enhanced it with beautiful phrasing and true life aphorisms. Maddy has had a sad and lonely life. She goes through a bunch of 'what ifs'. She concludes with this thought: If she (Maddy) hadn't lived here, would she ever have come to such an appreciation of what old people have to offer? Her thoughts brought a smile to this older and experienced reader's face!
The book is short and a quick enjoyable read.
Amy W. (Annapolis, MD)

Delightful Story of Friendship
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself stoping from time to time, re-reading sentences and looking for a pencil to underline them. The insights of both Maddy and Arthur were so profound that I wanted to make sure I could find them again when I went back to the book.

I wish the book was a little bit longer and that Berg spent a bit more time on Maddy's story between the time when she left her father's house and found Arthur. However, I think the take away from the book was the Friendships between Maddy, Arthur and Lucille and how it is never too late to let love into your life in all forms: Romantic and Friendship.
Amy E. (Delaware, OH)

The Story of Arthur Trulove
After reading the Story of Arthur Trulove and perusing the list of other books by the author, I was surprised I had not read any of her books. I definitely plan to in the future.
This book while being very readable addresses the issues that can either separate us or make us into a family.
Arthur Moses, a recent widower renamed Truelove by Maddie, a teen he meets in the cemetery, and Arthur's neighbor, Lucille find themselves drawn together in an unlikely situation. Elizabeth writes with humor and compassion about the lives of these characters. I enjoyed reading their stories.
Jane D. (Cincinnati, OH)

Good Summer Read
While the subject of Berg's book is not new, her characters make the novel a lovely way to spend an afternoon on your porch. 85 year old Arthur Moses and troubled teen, Maddy, have more in common that you would imagine. They first meet in a cemetery where each has gone to combat the loneliness they feel. They end up rescuing one another and the intertwining of their lives and the development of their relationship is what gives this book a sweetness we don't see much in our world today. A nice respite from things we are exposed to daily.
Lil C. (Chestertown, NY)

Young adult find
'The Story of Arthur Truluv' is not 'A Man Called Ove'; it is not 'The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper'; it is not 'The Little Paris Book Shop'. It is a short novel with engaging characters that the young adult reader may find they want to learn more about.
I struggled to stay with the novel. The writing style is simple without that hook that I need. Tweens may identify with the story line.

Bibliotherapy

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

A S Louder T W