MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Story of Arthur Truluv, plus links to write your own review.

The Story of Arthur Truluv

by Elizabeth Berg

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg X
The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

Nov 2017, 240 pages
    Jul 2018, 272 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Story of Arthur Truluv

Donna G. (Cheshire, CT)

The charm lies in its simplicity
At first I thought the friendship between an elderly lonely man and an equally lonely teenaged girl would be predictable, boring even. However, after reading several chapters I quickly realized that The Story of Arthur Truluv was anything but predictable. The life lessons contained within these pages unites generations. The prose is rather simple making the story all that more charming. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Maggie P. (Mount Airy, MD)

Charming Read
What a gem Elizabeth Berg has with this book. .I fell in love with the characters of Arthur, Maddy, and Lucille. In fact, I came to view them as my family. It is a wonderful story about patience and family, but most of all acceptance. It was a treat to read and it won't be my last book by this author.
Joan R. (Chicago, IL)

A Wonderful Story that Explores Important Questions
I enjoyed this book very much. Not only is it a well-written and engrossing story with interesting characters, it also explores some important questions: "What gives our life meaning? How do we live a good life?" Most of the characters are lonely, "aching and frightened and lost". And then there's Arthur who describes himself as "the audience, the witness, the appreciator". As Mister Rogers says, "he's a helper." No, he hasn't done anything remarkable in the eyes of the world, but he has lived a full, meaningful and loving life. He is truly fulfilled and an inspiration to those who come within his orbit. I found him one of the most endearing characters in any of the novels I have read lately. This would be an excellent choice for book clubs, because there's so much to discuss about the questions it explores (see above).
Carole A. (Denver, CO)

In a perfect world there would be "truluv"!
What a sweet uplifting book and what a wonderful idea! I read the book twice worried that after the first quick read I was reading too much idealism into the book - not the case. Elizabeth Berg has a lovely way of depicting characters that we all feel we have or could know. Think of those alone - widows, widowers, singles, young people not in tune with parents - coming together to create a loving supportive community, This could be a model for many in our world today. Each person and generation, both in and outside this book, has something to offer another. The book is an easy read thru the talented skills of Berg and, like a good book or dessert, is finished too soon. The Story of Arthur Truluv IS a story of love - a most special kind of love and family.
Carol R. (Foster City, CA)

I Wish I Could Give More Than 5 Stars!
In her Acknowledgements, author Elizabeth Berg writes about her hope that readers will "get" "The Story of Arthur Truluv." I believe that I got it and thank her for writing one of the most memorable books I've read in a long time. The story is sweet, poignant and endearing as Arthur honors the past yet learns to slowly embrace the present and move forward into the future. If families are not merely biological and are also the people we choose to be our family, Arthur has made brilliant choices. Read this book!
Debi

The Story of Arthur Truluv
I loved The Story of Arthur Truluv. I found myself quickly embracing Arthur, Maddy and even Lucille. If you want to read a book that will show you people do truly care about each other, even though friendships need patience and sacrifices, this book is one to be read. I definitely will be reading this treasure of a book again when I need to be reminded .... people do care. Thank You, Elizabeth Berg!
Mimi (North Venice, FL)

A Family Brought Together
Since it has been a long time since I have read an Elizabeth Berg novel, I jumped at the chance and I wasn't disappointed. As always, her character development was excellent and the story flowed to perhaps a predictable, yet satisfying conclusion.
The familiar formula of the novel wasn't tarnished due to the well drawn characters of beloved Arthur, resilient Maddy and Lucille the pink tank who made their way into your heart mirroring their own experience in the book. Elizabeth Berg is all about relationships. Thank you for the ones developed in the pages of Arthur Truluv.
Frances N. (San Francisco, CA)

Three lonely people find each other and I re-find Elizabeth Berg
I used to read Elizabeth Berg a lot and really loved her but drifted away into mainly mysteries. This charming, wonderful book reminded me of what I have been missing. It is an incredibly sweet story of three lonely, disparate people who find each other and make a family. Readers would have to be so cold-hearted not to love this book and not see themselves in the characters. It is a love story to being weird, being old and being in love.

Bibliotherapy

• Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...
  • Book Jacket: Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W