Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What readers think of Sing, Unburied, Sing, plus links to write your own review.

Sing, Unburied, Sing

May 2018, 288 pages

Poornima Apte

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Sing, Unburied, Sing

Nadja

This will haunt you (in a good way)
I love Jesmyn Ward, so I grabbed this off the ARC shelf at work as soon as I saw it! She writes in a way that sucks you into the world of the characters, and manages to evoke pity even for the most unlikeable people by giving us a way to connect with their human experience. You will think about these people and their lives and how so many are set up to fail from the very beginning. This one will definitely punch you in the gut but it's worth it. I won't even try to describe what happens because I'm too afraid to accidentally provide spoilers. Highly recommend!
BookReporter

Character driven ghostly drama!
The meat in this book is all the characters and their portrayal as a part of a rural poor family set in the south. The writing is amazing and it gives a vivid picture of their lives. The story highlights a lot of complicated family dynamics and also looks at the issues of race and death from a different perspective.
The character-driven drama also has a nice twist and some ghosts from the past. The author refers to the ghosts the children are able to hear and see as birds on the tree, singing their song of grief, those who were killed or mistreated and left unburied, without justice!
Overall I really like the plot and how the story is told and the characters will be remembered for a long time.

Prison Labor

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Voted 2022 Best Debut Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay

Honor
by Thrity Umrigar

These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves