Reader reviews and comments on Killers of the Flower Moon, plus links to write your own review.

Killers of the Flower Moon

Apr 2018, 352 pages

James Broderick

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Killers of the Flower Moon

Emer

Killers of the flower moon
I am just approx. ten chapters in and I cannot put the book down. I'm really interested to see how Edgar Hoover team will uncover the killer/s of the Osage tribe. Great history read, thriller and very well told.
Lin Z

Native Americans are still cheated
This was slow and chunky. It was interesting to learn the background of the tribe and the state of Oklahoma, but no conclusions were drawn. Things have not changed for them. Look at the wind turbines to know that they have no rights. If there is something that white people want they just take it. The book was designed to provoke anger at the injustice, but with no where to direct that anger. Did the author think this will repeat itself? Did he think there was some way to support the tribe? He just left us hanging in the end. Even history books draw some conclusions. My book club could hardly find much else to discuss. Best nonfiction of 2017?
jill carmel Larson

Killing of the Cactus Flower
I wanted to see what other people said cause we are reading this for our book club group at the public library but I think it's kind of jerky to read and I like books to flow and I don't have to stop and start again. It really isn't a reading for pleasure book.
Michael Haughton

killers of the flower moon by David Grann
The phrase "Mollie's front stoop" did nothing to the line as it should have been the word "front step". The writer must recognized that words and phrase must work together and this was not done in this first chapter called The Vanishing.

I was lost though when the writer began to detour from Anna been missing for days. the writer began to explain the riches of the Osage natives then.

The riches of the Osage natives could have been done I'm a more concise manner that draw the attention on the readers. but unfortunately it didn't as it was too information about the natives that had no bearing on the story.

The writer also place other languages that most readers would not understand. like in the line a word as: "une tres' julie demoiselle" which was totally unnecessary. this affected my ratings.

"revealing her stricking face"was a line used by the writer but I was very puzzled as to why these words were used.it was a very poor choice of words as it added nothing to excite me.

"Her husband Ernest Burkhart rose with her"it was not clear what this meant as I was left to wonder about this. The writer didn't no justice to this line
Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. Her relatives were shot and poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more members of the tribe began to die under mysterious circumstances.

In this last remnant of the Wild West - where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes like Al Spencer, the "Phantom Terror," roamed - many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll climbed to more than twenty-four, the FBI took up the case.

I was disappointed so much as to the direction of the writer when she mentioned Ernest Burkhart.the writer went on and on about his upbringings into his teenage life.This was totally unnecessary and it made my interest for the book very great. I therefore give this book a very low rating:1 out of 5

• Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter