Reader reviews and comments on Victoria, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Readalikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Victoria by Daisy Goodwin X
Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

Nov 2016, 352 pages
    Sep 2017, 416 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Victoria

Tiffany April Griffin

History of Queen Victoria
If you love history, you have to read this book. If you think this historical era is not your cup of tea, also try this novel. We meet a young lady who is not stucked up. We meet a lady with a heart of courage and fortitude. The author, Daisy Goodwin,writes this story as you have discovered a new best friend. The author makes you feel you are with Queen Victoria when she takes her carriage rides. When she has to choose with love, you would want to be with her and help her though. Again, this author really connects you with the Queen.

The book also has a character named Lord Melbourne. As the Queen calls him Lord M for her heart has fallen. Despite the age differences and despite his past, it is through Lord Melbourne that he teaches the Queen. He teaches by being direct. He taught her not only the policies of being a queen, but lessons that life give us. He also shows her respect. Do not forget the historical era this book is in. A queen as a women was rare. There was only one queen before her. His teachings helped her be a better queen.

This book is historical fiction, with romance, and suspense. This writer takes these three subjects and interwoven into one of the best historical fiction novels. This is a book that you will always remember.
Emily

A Different Perspective
Everything I have previously read about about Queen Victoria had to do with her later years as a Mother, Wife, and grieving Widow. This book, dealing with her childhood years and her years immediately following her Coronation, gave me a much complete picture of how she become the woman she was after her marriage to Albert and in her later years. This thoroughly researched book, because of the Author's inclusion of Victoria's early diaries, included rich and intimate details that made me feel as though I was an eyewitness to all that was going on in her early life. We will be using this book as a Bookclub selection in March. I am anxious to hear the reactions of our club members to both the book and the way it is presented in Masterpiece Theater.
Kathy B. (St. Louis Park, MN)

I Love Victoria
This Is a very moving story about young girl who becomes Queen of England at the age of 18. The queen soon faces the trial of public disapproval. She is expected to marry her cousin Prince Albert who she finds very dull. However, she enjoys the company of Lord Melborne. Even though he is old enough to be her father, he is the only one who takes her seriously. She is under constant scrutiny by those around her. Before reading this book I did not know the requirements of a queen. England became modernized under her rule. Very enjoyable reading.
Katherine J. (calumet park, IL)

SURPRISINGLY ......
When I first started reading this book,I thought it was going to be about the political side of becoming a queen, but it was mostly a coming of age book....AND I REALLY ENJOYED IT! I loved how even though Victoria was a queen she was still this innocent young girl who is learning about life and first loves as if she was a regular girl. It was a very quick read and I must admit I wasn't ready for it to end. Daisy Goodwin has a beautiful writing style and I'm excited to read her other books. So if you like historical fiction with a little bit of romance than you should really give this book a try. You will not be disappointed!
Maxine D. (Chicago, IL)

Very Enjoyable, A Young Queen Victoria came to Life for Me
In the 1990's I visited Kensington Palace where I had a wonderful tour which included the telling of Victoria's childhood there. As I began reading I recalled my visit. Knowing that this book is a series on Masterpiece Theatre coming in January, I feel the screenplay must of come first as this book reads more like a screenplay than a novel. I think this actually made it more enjoyable for me. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Masterpiece Theatre and I am looking forward to the series. I also hope that the author Daisy Goodwin will write another book or books on Queen Victoria as this book just begins to tell the story of her reign.
Deborah M. (Auburn Hills, MI)

This is the first time I have read this author, although I have been interested in several of her other titles. Victoria was a very good read. I enjoyed the story of a young girl who would become so influential in her country. I love a book that will make the reader want to continue learning about the subject. Daisy Goodwin has done a lot of research on this story about a neglected young girl whom nobody believed could become Queen. I love the feisty character and the transformation that made Victoria a powerful woman. The novel is so full of details and reads like the story of a mighty teenage girl who will change the world.
Susan W. (Leesburg, VA)

A good read
I found this book so very enjoyable. The author made the subject matter of the life of a very young queen come to life. Not only was the story of Albert and Victoria told, but her life before being queen and in the beginning of her reign. The political intrigue of royal court and all the people around her with their own agendas is relevant even today. This should make a good mini-series.
Shawna L. (Pearland, TX)

Love Historical Fiction & BBC period dramas?
If you enjoy historical fiction or BBC period dramas, this is the book for you!

An easy to read fictionalized account of Victoria as she turns 18 and becomes the Queen of England. While much is know about her lengthy reign as Queen, very little is told about this period of her life. The book is well written and would provide for a good discussion.

Having read another Daisy Goodwin book, I hope she has another book started!

[Editor's Note: You're in luck Shawna - Daisy has two other novels already published]

• Book Jacket: Unsheltered
    Unsheltered
    by Barbara Kingsolver
    Willa Knox's house is falling down. She recently inherited a Victorian residence in Vineland, ...
  • Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...
  • Book Jacket: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    by Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird's historical novel, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen, imagines, with a grand flourish, ...

The Winter Soldier
by Daniel Mason

A story of war and medicine, of finding love in the sweeping tides of history, and of the mistakes we make.

The Kennedy Debutante
    by Kerri Maher

"An engrossing tale of family, faith and love in the life of one remarkable woman." - Booklist

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H