What readers think of El Paso, plus links to write your own review.

El Paso

Poornima Apte

There are currently 3 reader reviews for El Paso

Judith chmielenski

Good historic fiction
I love good historic fiction. Not only did this book keep my attention but I learned a lot about US/Mexican history. It peaked my interest enough to research Pocho Villa to get the facts on this colorful character.
Tom

A glimpse into our history
The book cover gives you a hint of what might be if you are willing to commit to its story line and close your eyes and travel. I did just that and I awakened to be face to face with the infamous Pancho Villa. The rugged mountains of Mexico and the historic beginning of the great city of El Paso. As a 20 year old I actually lived on my own in this Texas beauty and I certainly envisioned it as the author described. Men and women who expanded the country westward are the real heroes of this book and of this time as the story unfolds. What a journey!!
dpfaef

Love the book cover
I have to say I love the cover for this book. It really draws you in, I could hardly wait to listen to this book. Expecting the second coming of Edna Ferber’s Giant I settled in for a good listen.

Take a fading railroad tycoon from Boston, an adopted son trying to hold together his fathers railroad,two small children and Mexican Revolutionary and you have the makings for EL Paso. I have to say it is a great story line, rich gringos with their multi million acre ranches with hundreds of thousands head of cattle and one desperado out to prove to the world just how notorious he is should make a great read. I just couldn’t take the book seriously, there wasn’t the depth needed to make this a serious work of historical fiction. Simply put the characters lacked depth, and that detracted from the story.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Women of Troy
    The Women of Troy
    by Pat Barker
    Set in the liminal days following the Trojan War, The Women of Troy follows Briseis, who the reader ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T