What readers think of El Paso, plus links to write your own review.

El Paso

Poornima Apte

There are currently 3 reader reviews for El Paso

Judith chmielenski

Good historic fiction
I love good historic fiction. Not only did this book keep my attention but I learned a lot about US/Mexican history. It peaked my interest enough to research Pocho Villa to get the facts on this colorful character.
Tom

A glimpse into our history
The book cover gives you a hint of what might be if you are willing to commit to its story line and close your eyes and travel. I did just that and I awakened to be face to face with the infamous Pancho Villa. The rugged mountains of Mexico and the historic beginning of the great city of El Paso. As a 20 year old I actually lived on my own in this Texas beauty and I certainly envisioned it as the author described. Men and women who expanded the country westward are the real heroes of this book and of this time as the story unfolds. What a journey!!
dpfaef

Love the book cover
I have to say I love the cover for this book. It really draws you in, I could hardly wait to listen to this book. Expecting the second coming of Edna Ferber’s Giant I settled in for a good listen.

Take a fading railroad tycoon from Boston, an adopted son trying to hold together his fathers railroad,two small children and Mexican Revolutionary and you have the makings for EL Paso. I have to say it is a great story line, rich gringos with their multi million acre ranches with hundreds of thousands head of cattle and one desperado out to prove to the world just how notorious he is should make a great read. I just couldn’t take the book seriously, there wasn’t the depth needed to make this a serious work of historical fiction. Simply put the characters lacked depth, and that detracted from the story.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: Bad Cree
    Bad Cree
    by Jessica Johns
    Jessica Johns' debut novel Bad Cree was inspired by her desire to disprove the idea, suggested by an...
  • Book Jacket: The Terraformers
    The Terraformers
    by Annalee Newitz
    Sask-E is a planet that Verdance, a major terraforming company, has big plans for. Their business is...
  • Book Jacket: The Light Pirate
    The Light Pirate
    by Lily Brooks-Dalton
    The lynchpin of The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton, a novel split into four parts, is the main ...
  • Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

Stealing
    by Margaret Verble

A gut-punch of a novel about a Cherokee child removed from her family and sent to a Christian boarding school in the 1950s.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win French Braid

French Braid
by Anne Tyler

From the beloved Pulitzer Prize–winning author, a joyful journey deep into one Baltimore family's foibles.

It's A G T Me