MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on News of the World, plus links to write your own review.

by Paulette Jiles

News of the World by Paulette Jiles X
News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Oct 2016, 224 pages
    Jun 2017, 224 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for News of the World

Dona H. (Muskegon, MI)

Absorbing Read
I found this slim historical novel completely absorbing and satisfying. Both main characters, a retired seventy-year old army Captain and a ten year old girl who was kidnapped by a Kiowa tribe when she was six, captured my heart as they grew to know and appreciate each other on their hazardous journey back to her family. Well-researched, filled with beautiful description and wry humor, the story was also highly suspenseful all the way to the Captain's terrible moral dilemma at the end.
Pam L. (Melbourne Beach, FL)

A good story, beautiful writing, great characters, and satisfying ending. What else could a reader want? Paulette Jiles' new novel; News of the World centers around a 70 year old man Captain Kidd, who carries news of the world to the people of Texas after the Civil War. Great premise in itself. He is a quiet hero, who is entrusted with returning a 10 year old Indian captive to her family. What ensues is an exploration of the history and cultures that made Texas. Some of Ms. Jiles' phrases are so poetic and perfect, they beg to be read more than once. Her descriptions immerse the reader in time and place.This novel made me smile many times. Paulette Jiles has created two very strong, engaging characters in the form of Captain Kidd and Johanna.
smash, Milwaukee WI

Fascinating read!
This is a fascinating book about Texas following the Civil War. I think if I were a Texas resident, I would have been even more enthralled. But having spent time in San Antonia, I could relate fairly well to the locations. In any case, the historical setting and the dynamics between senior gentleman and young female, formerly an Indian captive, just drew me in. Also the challenges and risks of travel during that time engaged me. I read straight through, to the finish. Besides capturing my heart, this book taught me history. It clearly portrayed the "career" of traveling to read the news to people (mostly men) - the sharing of the "News of the World". This is a book I plan to share with friends!
Deb T.

Read this book.........
I love Paulette Jiles and this is one you won't want to miss. I disagree with Rosann in every way. As much as she didn't like it, I did. Take a chance and see what you think!
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

News Of The World
Wichita Falls, Texas 1870

"A story of courage and honor and the truth that these two things are often the possession of even the unlikeliest people." - paulettejiles.com

Captain Jefferson Kyle Kid is a 70 year old veteran of the War of 1812 (Georgia militia) and President Tyler's war with Mexico. A former printer, now a solo itinerant reader, the captain buys newspapers and reads aloud in isolated community gatherings in northern Texas. Cloaked in his "reading attire", ten cents a head supplies his livelihood.

Captain Kidd is approached by Britt Johnson (freighter) and his small crew...all free black men. A fifty dollar gold piece was given to the "U.S. Army Agent" and passed on to the freighter to return a ten-year-old orphan to remaining family in San Antonio. The orphan is Johanna Leonberger, who survived a Kiowa raid that killed her parents and sister and has been raised by Turning Water and Three Spotted. She speaks only Kiowa, no English or German. Her aunt and uncle have offered a considerable sum for her to be found and returned to San Antonio.

The Kiowa no longer wanted this "white captive" child that increased their chances of being run down by the cavalry.
She she was sold to the Army Agent - and our story begins.

Cicada (her Kiowa name) begins our journey in deerskin shift, elk teeth and golden eagle feather. Immobile, expressionless, and artificial, the child is initially determined to return to her Kiowa home. But, she is unwanted in the only environment she remembers.

In this sensitive, endearing period piece, we travel with "Kepdun" and "Chohenna" (as she calls him) on a treacherous 400 miles journey to Castroville. Paulette Jiles supplies a territorial map depicting Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd's route from Wichita Falls to San Antonio (1870).

This story satisfies both mind (for historical information) and the heart, as the relationship of elder guardian and young girl evolves. Bandits, Comanche raids and treacherous terrain provide obstacles to survival. Then, the long awaited reunion is hardly as expected and decisions need to be made by the Captain.

Don't miss this rich historical fiction offering!
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Heartwarming and enjoyablen - Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Captain Kidd had experience traveling uncharted lands as he read his newspapers in different towns to spread the news of the world, but traveling with a ten-year-old girl who couldn't speak English was quite a different task for him.

Johanna had been kidnapped by the Kiowa Indians after her family was killed in a raid, but Johanna was now released and needed to be returned to her aunt and uncle. She didn't know who they were, and they didn't know her.

NEWS OF THE WORLD flows beautifully as we follow Captain Kidd and Johanna on their 400-mile journey that Captain Kidd regretfully had accepted. He had to deal with no language communication except for a few words and sign language as well as Johanna's numerous attempts to escape.

NEWS OF THE WORLD was an enjoyable read because the writing was marvelous, the story line was interesting, and the characters were authentic and likable. Johanna grew on you. Mrs. Gannet was charming. Captain Kidd was a perfect gentleman, a wonderful father, and an all-around good guy.?

I enjoyed the historical aspect of how there were folks who went from town to town reading the news. I loved the descriptions of the undeveloped country and am happy I didn't live back then. It was difficult to imagine there were no paved roads. We readers even get to be in the middle of a gun fight.

NEWS OF THE WORLD is filled with beautiful, descriptive writing that pulls you in I truly enjoyed NEWS OF THE WORLD mainly because of the characters and definitely the warmth and kindness of Captain Kidd.

If you need a quick, enjoyable, heartwarming read, NEWS OF THE WORLD fits the bill along with a history lesson. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation from the publisher in return for an honest review.
Jan

charming story
This was an assignment and dutifully I bought it and started to read. I had no idea what it was about and found myself totally engrossed in the first few pages. Loved the story about a young white girl who had been abducted by an Indian tribe in the late 1800's. Highly recommend it to all.
S Hofsommer

Historical and Fun
Having lived in West Texas, studied Texas history and taught literature set in this country, I found the book a joy to read. Those who are familiar with the film "The Searchers" know about Indians capturing white settlers' children and bringing them up as their own.
My book club members knew little about the history of this time or the setting, so we had a lively discussion.
I strongly recommend a book with a good plot set in an accurately portrayed setting.

Late 19th Century Texas

• Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...
    Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water