We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Brethren, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Feb 2000, 366 pages

Oct 2000, 366 pages

There are currently 37 reader reviews for The Brethren

Barefoot Serpent

Good read with an underwhelming ending.
Kyle

It wasnt as good as any of his books. It took me two time to try to read it before finishing it. The ending was very disappointing.
Brian

I like the book but its not the Godfather.
Paulette Sioson

I like the development of the plot. Although, I was expecting a more wicked ending for the Brethren, who by the way, were so mean.

Double C
After beginning a three week 'odyssey' into the man stories of one John Grisham...I found almost each and every one of his books enjoyable yet excitable reading. The Brethren was my first, and therefore the staple in my mind that allowed me to continue the series.
Grisham throws in a little more comedy than before and still gives us his typical legal thriller. The combating stories shift very well back and forth between Aaron Lake and The Brethren.
Excluding the Runaway Jury...this is Grisham's finest work. Thank you. While it might not be the most challenging...Grisham's latest legal thriller proves why he is respected and read.
Thanks John. But please, after this next one, get back into the legal game.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)