We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Brethren, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Feb 2000, 366 pages

Oct 2000, 366 pages

There are currently 37 reader reviews for The Brethren

Travis

This is a great book. All John Grisham books are great I yet to read a book of Grisham's that is not good
Shawn Castillo

I have just finished reading this book, and let me tell you, I have been proven wrong. I thought that this book would not be worth reading, that it would be just like the rest. So, I got this book for my birthday, and I began to read it just to see how bad it was. After reading the first few chapters, I realized that I could not, and that I would not, put this book down until I had read every word on every page. It pulls you deeper into the plot, until the end, which could have been a bit better, but nevertheless, it is a great book. Hopefully, John Grisham will decide to either write another book like The Brethren, or he decides to turn it into a movie. Can anyone say Oscar?
Slav Sokolov

Great forever. If you have not read it yet you should go to tne nearest shop buy and read it at once. You wan't be sorry. Beleve me!!!!
james

the kind of book you can read again and again
Greg

I havent read this, but all of John Grishams books are great, so this one will be just as good~!
Tina

Just splendid! I enjoyed it immensely!
ann

loved it
Dee

This is by far one of his best. From the very beginning I could not put it down. I slowly attatched myself to the Brethren and felt as if I was a part of their scam. However, I didn't think they would get away as easy as they did, I predicted their fate to be similar to Trevors. I loved the ending, it led me to believe that nothing could stop them and their greed was too high to be put to an end by a mere two million. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good Grisham or to anyone who has yet to pick up one of his books, trust me it will get you hooked. I hope Aaron Lake had a good four years : )

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)