We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Brethren, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

tim

good book
Linda

Left hanging
Thoroughly enjoyed this book until the last page. I actually thought perhaps pages were missing. The story needed to continue. I was extremely disappointed with the ending. There is no ending.
Palesa Mpuru

Interesting
A startling book and depicts what could be the real world of many politicians, prone to blackmailing or being victimised. The final chapter of the book was a slump I feel it needed a strong cuff to the reader. John's writing style also illustrates his law profession, he's a good writter.
Adam

I am more into hardcore literature and poetry, but this was a fun read.
razel

its good
Kymberly Goughler

I usually dont read his books, this was a class assignment and I enjoyed it.
Eri

i thought that this was a great book with a lot of interesting scenes and characters. only thing is when it came time to write a book review for my honors lit class, i couldnt remember what it was about, oops!
Amber

This was not one of his action filled novels. It is still a good read and I would recomend it to anyone who appreciates law. They also have to be able to follow plots easily. Otherwise it was a nicely written book.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)