Reader reviews and comments on Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Cold Mountain

by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain

Jun 1997, 356 pages
    Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

Becky (08/21/03)

I really enjoyed Fraziers novel Cold Mountian but I was dissapointed in the ending because I wasn't sure really what to think at the end. I did, however, enjoy the feeling of having to finish to find out what happened to Inman and Ada. I know I have read a good book when I feel that way.
Hoyt (08/11/03)

The author is very poetic in his writing style and has created a novel that surpasses most writing available nowadays. I would have liked to have seen more development in the characters themseves and less time spent on scenery description. I also felt that to choose a story line and central character that presents such a dismal perspective on life must reflect on the writer`s feeling about his own existence.
Jack Daniels (04/24/03)

It was horrible and very boring. The love story was okay but there was little action.
All in all it sucked and wouldn't recommend my grandma reading it cause it is a waste of time
jill (11/19/02)

hi , what are we saying here about the expected happy ending?? that has been out of fashion a long time now. Most novels end tragically, Frankly I expected more from Frazier, it is more of a challenge for the writer, to keep it interesting and also keep every one alive,
It was a great way to bring people into a world they never knew, to take people to parts of themselves they aren't aware are there,
A good author shows us ourselves, Inganm and Ada and Frazier have done that, Bravo, just change the ending in the movie pleasssssse!!!!
Nathaniel J C (08/02/02)

Cold Mountain was extremely well written. Fraizer captivates the reader in the setting of the mountains with the depth of the nature Inman is treking through. The pain he encounters trying to keep from being caught by the Home guard is felt by the reader. The soreness of his body and the hunger plauging him can't be forgotten. One thinks of all the people living during this time dealt with the war. Anything could happen as the ending definately proves. <edited to remove plot spoilers> Overall this book was very well written, full of proff Frazier did lots of research, and it left the reader thinking. When a book leaves you thinking I think it did its part. Your own imagination got to finish it, and that is what we all want. Not a cut and dry, Ada married, had children, and lived happily ever after.

Very good book, recommend it for anyone willing to give some of their time to see a different view of life.
James Jackson (05/21/02)

The book was an incredible epic journey, filled with danger and love. The ending was one of the most tradgic ending I've ever read, Inman travels miles to get home to Ada and is shot around a week later. The many symbolic characters help to show what Inman's goinng through and teach him a lesson. Ruby being a young uneducated women shows Ada a great scholar basic survival skills, on how to live effectivly. I thought the story was incredible and moving. Frazier has done incredibly well on his first novel.
Drew M. Cox (05/18/02)

I gave this book a 4 due to it's occasionally dull portions. I hardly ever read novels. This one was forced on me for a school project, and I could not put it down ( for the most part ). Frazier gets a little more descriptive than my tastes would prefer when describing the scenery. Otherwise, this story is an amazing tale that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys adventure stories. I especially enjoy the fight scenes between Inman and his adversaries. Hats off to you, Mr. Frazier.
danielle s. (05/18/02)

i give this book a 4 because i really liked the way frazier ended the novel. instead of making it sappingly sweet by giving it the expected happy ending he took the chance of angering the reader by giving it a not so happy ending for ada, although she at least had a child by inman. frazier did a great job of telling the story of inman's long journey home, and i would recommend this book to anyone who likes stories like homer's odyssey. the only reason i did not give this novel a 5, lies in the fact that frazier spends a little too much time describing the various plants and wildlife of north carolina.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Tom Jackson

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Cruel Beautiful World