Reader reviews and comments on Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Cold Mountain

by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Jun 1997, 356 pages
    Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

Charles Lee (04/26/02)

I found it a bit boring and tought it could have had more action.
Marc Lay (03/26/02)

Despite the unsupported comments of the previous ratings given, I feel Frazier accuratly depicts the hardships of the Civil War era. I highly recommend Cold Mountain as just a " good read", but I also found it to convey many themes which are great for an excellent english paper.
joe h. (03/24/02)

I would recommend this novel to gardening or cooking enthusiast. Frazier devotes 25% of this book on how to plant, grow, and harvest crops. Then, he devotes another 25% of this book on how to kill, milk,prepare,can,cook, and eat food. The other 50% of this novel tells a love story that wouldn't even interest a desparate mid-aged women who lives her love life through fictional characters.
Fraziers had a great setting (time, place, enviroment) to create a wonderful novel. But, I think he came well short of reaching this plateau. Frazier, I think, was so caught up in the setting that he forgot to write a solid story line. But, this is only my opinion. I recommend reading to anyone, even Cold Mountain. I just think there's better reading out there.
Anonymous (02/24/02)

Beautifully written, good command of the language. Frazier's telling of the story is very well done. Look forward to his second book.

Dennis
I will have to say that you should judge this book by its cover...the cover sucked, and the book sucked even more.

Jeff
I have just finished Cold Mountain and found it to be one of those rare books that truly draws one into it's world. Frazier does a magnificent job of describing daily life in the Civil War era Southern highlands as well as drawing us into what feels like a friendship with his characters. Your heart rejoices and aches with the victories and defeats in the lives of Inman and Ada as they struggle to live and love in a world torn by war and unrest. What a joy to have found one of those rare contemporary works that actually invests in the development of its characters and probes the depths of those common fears and hopes that bind us all together. An excellent, if not disturbing story.

Wendy
I thought Cold Mountain was a good book. I had to read the book as part of my English honors class. Although the ending disappointed the majority of our class, I thought that in a way, it was necessary. The ending amplified Frazier's meaning- that humanity in war is nearly impossible.

Ashley
Cold Mountain was my book club's selection for this month. And I am certainly happy with the choice. This is the best book I have read for awhile. I just finished it yesterday and have been able to think of little else. The tragedy of Inman and Ada makes my heart break. A sublimely written novel. One I will think about for years to come.

• Book Jacket: Do Not Become Alarmed
    by Jeffrey Lent

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers