Reader reviews and comments on The Incarnations, plus links to write your own review.

The Incarnations

Rory L. Aronsky

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Incarnations

Rebecca

Wonderful concept
I was very excited to read this book. I was fascinated by the idea of reincarnation and being unaware of former lives until someone brings awareness of those lives through disturbing means. The book is beautifully written the author adds so much color to her writing through her descriptions of different periods in Chinese history. There were two things about this book that were disturbing. I believe that this same story could have been told without all of the homosexuality. It didn't offend me; it just seemed so unnecessary especially since most of it was violent and loveless. The other disturbing thing was the ugly picture of China told through the different stories. It left me feeling like the author has very little love for China especially Bejing. There is a great twist at the end of the book, though, and I am glad I read it through until the end.
Penny

The Incarnations
I really tried to like this book, but I could not even finish it. I believe there is much more to the history of China than sexual abuse and torture which was described very graphically. The premise of two "soul-mates" being reincarnated throughout critical times in Chinese history was enticing. I am a reader who does not mind necessary violence in a book, but this one dealt more with that than the story of China itself. To me, it was sadistic and the most unpleasant read of my life. I would like to say that I am a former literature teacher, and a retired librarian, so I am very liberal and eclectic about books. But, this, to me, was the worst book I have ever read.

• Book Jacket: Let's Call It a Doomsday
    Let's Call It a Doomsday
    by Katie Henry
    However the world will end, Ellis Kimball is ready for it. Her obsessive stash of survivalist ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winemaker's Wife
    The Winemaker's Wife
    by Kristin Harmel
    Liv Kent's world is falling apart. After 12 years of marriage, her husband has decided he's done, ...
  • Book Jacket: On the Clock
    On the Clock
    by Emily Guendelsberger
    In her excellent debut, On The Clock, journalist Emily Guendelsberger thoughtfully examines the ...
    America for Beginners
    by Leah Franqui
    Leah Franqui's first novel America for Beginners was well-reviewed by our First Impression readers; ...

Yale Needs Women
    by Anne Gardiner Perkins

The Secrets We Kept
    by Lara Prescott

Reese Witherspoon's Sept Book Club Pick!
    "This is the rare page-turner with prose that’s as wily as its plot."—EW

Book Club
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
by Kim Michele Richardson

A story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere.

Win The Red Address Book

The Red Address Book
by Sofia Lundberg

"Wise and captivating, Lundberg's novel offers clear-eyed insights into old age and the solace of memory."--People

A Place F E A E I I P