MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Lion Seeker, plus links to write your own review.

by Kenneth Bonert

Oct 2013, 576 pages
    Sep 2014, 576 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Lion Seeker

N (09/27/14)

I wanted more
As an American reader of South African writing, I wanted more. More detail, depth, and description. At times, the book knocked it out of the park and met these expectations and other times fell short.
Pamela Joy (08/09/14)

Long read, but worth the time
The Lion Seeker has a very good storyline and is an intricate weave of history, character development and cultural differences in South Africa as World War II looms on the horizon of one Jewish family. Certainly an excellent work for a first-time novelist, the book is a rich blend of Shindler's List, The Godfather, and Sophie's Choice.
Occasionally difficult vernacular at time slows the reading flow at times, but it also adds to the development of place and time for this serious novel. The main character is not always likable - but none of them are, really.
Halfway through the book, the description of and meaning behind Lion's Rock was so well written, I thought it would have been worth the read if it had ended there. While remaining important, and revisited later, things were actually just getting started at that point.
And it was certainly worth the time invested to finish the book.
Melinda (07/16/14)

The Lion Seeker
I could not put this book down. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first page to the ending. I loved how the author weaved very difficult time periods of history together, to unveil truths and half-truths that shaped not only the protagonist and her family and her children, but generations of families. From early South Africa, to WWII, Israel (before and after WWII) to Lithuania before and after WWII. Most importantly, hope and love prevails for the protagonist's family, despite their many travails and traumas. I would read this book again, just to make sure I didn't miss a little detail, for the history it gives is educational, as well as the hope that it springs, even in the most wretched of us. A great novel, my favorite since joining BookBrowse.

The Voyage of the Damned

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T