MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards, plus links to write your own review.

The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards

Feb 2014, 272 pages

Kim Kovacs

There is 1 reader review for The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards

Nadja

Thinking caps required; reward is worth the effort!
I led a book club discussion on this book in May 2014. We read mostly literary fiction, and this is definitely right up our alley. To be honest, I had read the book, quickly, a couple months earlier, was confused on several plot elements, and would have given it about a 7/10 for some of the more unrealistic aspects. When I re-read and took notes to keep the timelines and characters straight, I realized what the author was doing. I was in possession of a real gem and my score moved to 9/10).

The writing is absolutely superb. The characters breathe. The story line/s (you will understand that /s after you read it) grab you so you actually care about what is going to happen to them.

One of our more erudite members referred to the novel as a whole as "picaresque" (a term the rest of us had to look up).

I really can't describe the plot without giving the whole thing away. I will be first in line to buy the next book Jansma writes. Just ordered two copies of the paperback from my local independent in hopes that they will stock and so I always have a copy to hand someone to borrow!

Highly recommend with the caveat of not reading it too quickly and to re-read the first chapter (at least) after you finish.

Famous Literary Spats

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: Utopia Avenue
    Utopia Avenue
    by David Mitchell
    David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue follows the path of an eclectic rock group — the eponymous ...
  • Book Jacket: The Stone Girl
    The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn
    The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn was a hit with our First Impressions reviewers, with 19 out of 21 ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

N M Cup O T