Reader reviews and comments on The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards, plus links to write your own review.

The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards

Feb 2014, 272 pages

Kim Kovacs

There is 1 reader review for The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards

Nadja

Thinking caps required; reward is worth the effort!
I led a book club discussion on this book in May 2014. We read mostly literary fiction, and this is definitely right up our alley. To be honest, I had read the book, quickly, a couple months earlier, was confused on several plot elements, and would have given it about a 7/10 for some of the more unrealistic aspects. When I re-read and took notes to keep the timelines and characters straight, I realized what the author was doing. I was in possession of a real gem and my score moved to 9/10).

The writing is absolutely superb. The characters breathe. The story line/s (you will understand that /s after you read it) grab you so you actually care about what is going to happen to them.

One of our more erudite members referred to the novel as a whole as "picaresque" (a term the rest of us had to look up).

I really can't describe the plot without giving the whole thing away. I will be first in line to buy the next book Jansma writes. Just ordered two copies of the paperback from my local independent in hopes that they will stock and so I always have a copy to hand someone to borrow!

Highly recommend with the caveat of not reading it too quickly and to re-read the first chapter (at least) after you finish.

Famous Literary Spats

• Book Jacket: Becoming
    Becoming
    by Michelle Obama
    Voted 2019 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

BookBrowse hosted a Book Club ...
  • Book Jacket: Butterfly Yellow
    Butterfly Yellow
    by Thanhha Lai, Daniel Suarez
    Voted 2019 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

As readers, many of us hope ...
  • Book Jacket: Olive, Again
    Olive, Again
    by Elizabeth Strout
    Voted 2019 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

It's been a big year for literary ...
  • Book Jacket: Solitary
    Solitary
    by Albert Woodfox
    Voted 2019 Best Debut Author Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

According to statistics from ...

Book Club
Evening in Paradise
by Lucia Berlin

"Berlin's new book is a marvel, filled with deeply touching stories about lives on the fringes."—NPR

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Win Butterfly Yellow

BUTTERFLY YELLOW

Winner of the BookBrowse Award for Best Young Adult Novel, and the overall highest rated book of the year!

The Big Holiday Wordplay