MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, plus links to write your own review.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

Poornima Apte

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

KristinaK

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
It was hard to read this novel after having seen Woody Allen's movie, "Midnight in Paris." I kept hearing his actors' voices in my head while reading. In spite of that, like some of the other reviewers, I found the novel challenging to get into at first. And while I appreciate how Ms. Fowler created Zelda's character, I found myself more inspired to read Nancy Mitford's biography of Zelda called "Zelda." Still, it's a novel worth reading if you enjoy a dip into the era of the Lost Generation.
obsessedreader

nothing new here
Therese Anne Fowler's Z/A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald seems to have been written to cash in on the success of Paula McLain's The Paris Wife.

While I thoroughly enjoyed McLain's book (how much do most of us know, after all, about Hadley?), I found Fowler's book quite tedious. It may be that I've already read enough about Zelda. Nothing new is revealed in this latest effort: it's almost common knowledge.

But my primary criticism is that the writing just never rang true for me. I never felt that it was actually Zelda doing the narrating. Everything was all too crisp and matter-of-fact. It parroted the style of McLain's much more successful book.

I do not recommend Z at all. There are thousands of biographies more worth one's time.

• Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...
  • Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...
  • Book Jacket: Celestial Bodies
    Celestial Bodies
    by Jokha Alharthi
    One typically expects to find a detailed family tree adorning the opening pages of, say, an epic ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Welcome to the Pine Away Motel and Cabins
    by Katarina Bivald

A heartwarming story of love, friendship, and the art of living.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win American Dirt

"A Grapes of Wrath for our times." - Don Winslow

This debut is already being hailed as a new American classic, and is the first book to receive a perfect 5-stars from BookBrowse reviewers!

I I A Broke, D F I