Reader reviews and comments on The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, plus links to write your own review.

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

Judy Krueger

There is 1 reader review for The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

CarolK

A Road Trip not like Thelma & Louise
The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving. came highly recommended to me so I'm not certain what took me so long to read it.

I had read Evison's West of Here and liked it, and yet I'm not certain I was quite prepared for The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving. I was expecting more of the same but there is no comparison between the two other than plain good writing. It is heartening when an author can take a different direction and just get it right. If I could give The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving 10 stars I would. It's not always easy to explain why a book makes my best list but suffice it to say this one just did. I loved it.

Easy premise. Ben Benjamin has lost it all though early on you are not quite certain how or why. All you know is that he's down to his last bucks, takes a course as a caregiver and is interviewing for a job. Little does he know this client, Trev, 19 year old, suffering from muscular dystrophy, and also one royal pain in the you know what, will change his life. The relationship that develops between these two mismatched souls is something to read. Their constant banter, all I can think is guy speak, made me laugh, but I also kept the tissues nearby as there's serious stuff going on here too. These two guys, both searching for something, eventually set out on one heck of an American road trip. There are other characters of course, and all are brought vividly to life by Evison's expertise.

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving is a story I won't soon forget and one I'll recommend to many. Excellent!

• Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter