Reader reviews and comments on The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, plus links to write your own review.

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

Judy Krueger

There is 1 reader review for The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

CarolK

A Road Trip not like Thelma & Louise
The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving. came highly recommended to me so I'm not certain what took me so long to read it.

I had read Evison's West of Here and liked it, and yet I'm not certain I was quite prepared for The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving. I was expecting more of the same but there is no comparison between the two other than plain good writing. It is heartening when an author can take a different direction and just get it right. If I could give The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving 10 stars I would. It's not always easy to explain why a book makes my best list but suffice it to say this one just did. I loved it.

Easy premise. Ben Benjamin has lost it all though early on you are not quite certain how or why. All you know is that he's down to his last bucks, takes a course as a caregiver and is interviewing for a job. Little does he know this client, Trev, 19 year old, suffering from muscular dystrophy, and also one royal pain in the you know what, will change his life. The relationship that develops between these two mismatched souls is something to read. Their constant banter, all I can think is guy speak, made me laugh, but I also kept the tissues nearby as there's serious stuff going on here too. These two guys, both searching for something, eventually set out on one heck of an American road trip. There are other characters of course, and all are brought vividly to life by Evison's expertise.

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving is a story I won't soon forget and one I'll recommend to many. Excellent!

• Book Jacket: In Extremis
    Let It Bang
    by RJ Young

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance