MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Light Between Oceans, plus links to write your own review.

by Margot L. Stedman

Jul 2012, 384 pages
    Apr 2013, 384 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Light Between Oceans

Diana C. (Delray Beach, FL) (07/02/12)

A Heartrending Tale
Notwithstanding the innocuous dialogue between husband and wife during the early years of their marriage, which takes place very early on, thankfully this book unravels into an absorbing, stirring and emotional story about how a seemingly benevolent split-second decision carries with it consequences that resonate throughout a lifetime. While the characters are rather undeveloped, the story is well written and the reader’s desire to see the story through gives the characters the lifeline they need.
Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI) (07/02/12)

Great Book Club Selection
The Light Between Oceans would be a great book club selection. The story is about a light house keeper and his wife living on an isolated island off the coast of Australia. A boat comes ashore with a dead man and a small baby crying that will change their lives forever. The choices that are made will lead to devastating events. This book will make for a great book club disscusion.
Jane H. (Indianola, IA) (07/02/12)

The Light Between Oceans
The author gives a very authentic description of a lighthouse keepers life, but tends to get wordy. The story depicts how one lie can develope into many, and how these lies affect the character's lives. The last paragraph of the book sums up the story - man is shaped by the happenings in his life.
Loretta F. (Fountain Inn, SC) (06/29/12)

A Stunning Debut
This novel has all the elements of a great read. The poetic language carried me to a lonely lighthouse miles from land where I could almost feel the wind and hear the waves crashing. "The wind pounced on him like a predator..." and "The water sloshed like white paint, milky-thick..." Light vs. darkness was used throughout the novel as a metaphor for choices made and their consequences. The characters were so richly drawn that I became emotionally involved with them, caring deeply for what they were going through. But most of all, this is just such a good story. It pulled me in and kept me guessing until the very end.

I will be recommending this novel to my book club, to all my friends, and to anyone who enjoys getting lost in a good book.

Lighthouse Keepers

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun