Reader reviews and comments on Oxford Messed Up, plus links to write your own review.

by Andrea Kayne Kaufman

• Paperback:
    Nov 2011, 336 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Oxford Messed Up

Jane R. (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) (03/19/12)

Oxford Messed Up
I loved this book. All the characters are messed up, not just the two main ones. But despite being messed up they are characters that you can't help but care about and want to succeed. Being a huge Van Morrison fan myself made connect with the book right from the beginning. I played his CDs while reading the book, which gave me new insight into his music.
Power Reviewer Bobbie D. (Boca Raton, FL) (03/19/12)

Oxford Messed Up
The book is very well written with a combination of happy and sad moments. Loved Gloria and Henry.

Putting 2 post graduate students at Oxford who each come with terrible baggage and connecting them by the "loo" was very clever. Hard to imagine how one of them was a germophobe with OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) who spent hours cleaning (Gloria) and the other (Henry) was a dirty slob who often didn't change his clothes for days. Bringing them together with the Van Morrison music was such a clever idea. Finding out about Gloria and Henry and their history as the story goes along kept you wanting more and hoping that there was some way they could work out their problems. This book should appeal to everyone. It's different and quite special.
Beth C. (Sioux Falls, SD) (03/19/12)

Oxford Messed Up -a Wonderful Story
I loved this book. Andrea Kaufman has done a marvelous job of creating characters with major personality flaws (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and substance abuse) and turned them into people with heart and substance. Gloria, the obsessive Rhodes scholar, is studying the poetry of feminist writers Sylvia Plath and Sara Teasdale, and Henry, ex-addict and scholarly failure, share a bathroom in their graduate student housing. Kaufman lets the reader into Gloria's OCD in a way that is both instructional and humane. Henry's issues also become a source of realistic information.
I especially enjoyed the intellectual aspect of the book as Gloria writes and comments about her women poets and the collaboration she does with Henry regarding the poetry/music of Van Morrison. For me, the book worked on many levels and I was truly pleased with the results.

I would definitely recommend "Oxford Messed Up" to friends and to book groups.
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD) (03/14/12)

OXFORD MESSED UP
i really was fascinated by this book. I wanted to finish the book but not end the story. The writing and word choices held my attention. I checked on Van Morrison with my adult daughter and found that I already loved some of his music. I have a friend who complains of having OCD. Being a skeptic, I thought the symptoms were an exaggeration in her mind. This book certainly portrays the mind numbing trauma the condition can cause. Happily, I could also see that recovery is possible.

Henry and Gloria are people I could like. I was thrilled when they could be happy. I even developed a special fondness for Oliver. I hope my book club will pick this book!
Jill S. (Eagle, ID) (03/14/12)

Oxford Messed Up
I will admit, it took awhile to get into this book. But don't put this book down. The story really begins once Gloria lands in London. Despite the characters flaws, it's an engaging story. Readers can't help but root for Gloria and Henry. This book will have a number of topics for any book group.
Charlene M. (Murrells Inlet, SC) (03/14/12)

Oxford Messed Up
Ms Kaufman is an excellent writer. She has given us a glimpse into the world of two obsessive strangers & has found a common element in both stories. The trauma, the feeling of rejection & the feeling of isolation. The correlation between two people - one with OCD disease & one with the oppressive sense of loss.
Deb Y. (Blanco, TX) (03/14/12)

OCD?
I certainly never imaged that a book focused on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder could be so entertaining - and how much information about anxiety disorders in general could be woven into something that wasn't dry or scholarly. I was rooting for Gloria all the way. You might too!
Diane D. (Cape Elizabeth, ME) (03/13/12)

Kudos to Kaufman!
Andrea Kayne Kaufman took the very difficult issue of OCD and gave the reader a delightful love story! While giving the reader a great insight into this horrible disease, she also treats us to brave, wonderful characters (if not, somewhat broken) that you can picture perfectly in your mind. Both main characters have great difficulties to overcome and the reader is brought along for the very enjoyable ride. And being a true Van Morrison fan, I adored how Kaufman wove his music into this unusual love story.

Van Morrison

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review