Reader reviews and comments on The Trinity Six, plus links to write your own review.

by Charles Cumming

Mar 2011, 368 pages
    Mar 2012, 368 pages

Elizabeth Whitmore Funk

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Trinity Six

Xavier Huntley (03/21/11)

xMANS Review
This book was the beastyest book I have read so far my entire life. This book ROCKS! :)
Sandra M. (Shakopee, MN) (03/10/11)

History lesson and page-turner
The Trinity Six starts slowly as Cumming develops all the characters in turn, but then it accelerates to its page-turning climax. The tone of the book seems appropriate to the character of the frumpy professor, out of his element in the world of international spies. I enjoyed the history lessons as well as the well-written story.
Kristine L. (The Woodlands, TX) (03/04/11)

Trinity Six
I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters were excellent and I wish to see more of Charlotte in other books if possible. Honestly, the book kept me guessing as well as led me down a believable path of intrigue. Keep them coming!
Joan N. (Evanston, IL) (02/23/11)

Interesting Use of History
Fast moving thriller with likeable, albeit shallow characters. An academic in need of money stumbles into a story about World War II and Cold War espionage. Based on actual circle of five Cambridge graduates who became spies for Russia, including Kim Philby and Anthony Blunt. Was there a sixth? The people from the historical context of the treasonous spying are in their 90s so few are left. I think author got it right about the need for the spies of that era to tell their stories before they die. Mixture of 21st century technology: computers, cell phones, DVDs, with the records of mid-20th century espionage. Compelling because of the action, but most of the characters seemed unconvincing, especially the women but also the protagonist.
Cynthia C. (Peekskill, NY) (02/23/11)

Trinity Six
Charles Cumming puts a new spin on the well-known, and real-life, spy ring of Kim Philby, Guy Burgess, Anthony Blunt, Donald Maclean & John Cairncross. Known as the Cambridge Five, they were recruited by the Soviet Union while at Trinity College at Cambridge in the 1930's and were one of the most notorious spy rings ever uncovered. Mr. Cumming's takes this story & adds an additional, and fictional, sixth spy, who was long-rumored to have existed, but who has never been identified.

In this complicated, but riveting, story set in present day, a British historian and author named Sam Gaddis learns that there was a sixth Cambridge spy. With mounting financial problems, he thinks that he can turn this information into a best-selling book. But that is before people who can help him uncover more details begin to die.

Mr. Cummings plot is complicated and a bit convoluted with a large cast of characters and the first 100 pages are a bit dry. But this background is necessary information on which his plot is based. Stick with it - the tension continues to rise and as the story builds to its conclusion, you won't be able to put the book down!
Sandy P. (Gainesville, FL) (02/23/11)

Quite exceptional
I liked the fact that historical figures were employed in a work of fiction. Being old enough to remember the Philby "Sex for Secrets" scandal made this book extremely interesting. There are quite a few characters (I kept a roster) but they are well woven into the plot. I will definitely be downloading more of Mr. Cummings' work. Reminded me a lot of early Ludlum books.
Hilary H. (Tucson, AZ) (02/20/11)

The Trinity Six
Trinity Six is the 3rd Charles Cumming that I've read and each one has been enjoyable and well done. I loved the premise of a possible 6th spy at Cambridge. I started with the book slowly but mostly due to short periods of time in which to read. Once I sat down with it, I was engaged with the story and the characters. Cumming does a great job with twists and turns and while people do get shot and killed, there is no emphasis on the violence or gore. It was another great spy read from him. I'll look forward to more.
Beatrice D. (Floral Park, New York) (02/12/11)

Cold War Espionage
Although the Cold War is long ended, events from this past suddenly become very much part of history professor Sam Gaddis' concern. He is soon involved in present day espionage experiences centered on some Cambridge students of the '30s who became Communists then acted as double agents and spies during WWII and the Cold War. While the book is not up to the standards set by Le Carre and Ludlum it has enough suspense and excitement to keep you turning pages to the very end.

The Cambridge Five

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

If there is anything more dangerous to the life of the mind than having no independent commitment to ideas...

The Big Holiday Wordplay: