Reader reviews and comments on Take Me Home, plus links to write your own review.

Take Me Home

Donna Chavez

There is 1 reader review for Take Me Home

Sandra H.

Take Me Home by Brian Leung
Take Me Home is a historical novel about the clash between Chinese workers brought in by the Union Pacific to work in coal mines in Wyoming and the white workers who become convinced they are taking jobs from them and eventually rise up to run out the heathen Chinamen The author does a good job of letting us know how ignorance can create fear. Prejudice against the Chinese workers is fueled by the belief that they are subhuman with yellow skin, have tails, and dress strangely. The white workers are, for the most part uneducated and poor, so easily taken advantage of. So why give this book only a 3 when all of the above suggests it should be stronger? The 3 represents, for me, a poorly structured book that jumps between the late 19th and early 20th centuries and does a poor job of character development so that it is difficult to care about the characters. I just couldn't get involved in what should have been a riveting story. It does, however, show readers the prejudice that existed toward people who are so different from the majority race even when many of them are also immigrants who cannot speak English. So, a book that should have been riveting never quite gets there.

Chinese Immigration to the USA

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S