What readers think of The Millionaire Next Door, plus links to write your own review.

The Millionaire Next Door

The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy

by Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko, Ph.D.

The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko, Ph.D. X
The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko, Ph.D.

Oct 1996, 258 pages
    Sep 1998, 255 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The Millionaire Next Door

Jojo

This was a paradigm shift from the "greed is good" media message. Very informative and pleasant to read. I thought it would be full of boring stats but it broke down the information so that wherever you are in your life, you could easily begin implementing these basic principals for positive change.

For the younger generation (20's and below) this is a counterculture statement. That you can make it without stepping, spitting and stabbing others in the back on the way up. There are other peaceful reality-based successes, they need to know that.
Thanks for Dr.s Danko and Thomas

PS. Do you know it's hard to find this book in the resale/second hand stores?
Charles

Should be required reading for High School students. If not in school, it will be in my home.
chapa

This book changed my way of thinking about money and personal goals
Will

The guy that hatedt his book probably wants to believe that millionaires are born and not made, or that luck plays an important part in becoming wealthy, but if you want to know the truth about wealth building, this book which details a stufy of the truly affluent and the commonalties of thier lifestyles is very revealing, a must read for anyone who wants to accumulate wealth.
Andrew

"The Millionaire Next Door" was given to me as a gift from my dad several years ago, and let me say that it removes any myth of who the wealthy are in this country. The majority of them are not who you see in the news and are probably your neighbor if you live in a modest neighborhood. The tendencies of overconsumption and commercialization which began in the '80s and countinue through today are the exact opposite of what would lead to wealth. To fight this tide and to become financially independent soon become more important goals in their own right, and amassing large amounts of money is a side effect. It's very satisfying to see your bank account grow month to month instead of blowing a few bucks for a latte here, a new suit there. Also, the book discusses better ways to put your money to work than just sitting around in a bank account, in cash form. It talks about various investments. One nice added feature, which is really applicable today, is the chapter on how to raise children with the same frugal values as yourself, even though you may have more money now and have an urge to give them "what you couldn't have" as a child. To drive by high schools and see new cars sitting in the students' parking lot, and realize a lot are nicer than the TEACHERS' cars makes me wonder what some parents are thinking. Whatever happened from reward through hard work and the character building that comes with it? I believe this book should be required reading by every person in the US.

Loved the book. I saved thousands and lots of time on my car I just purchased
Christie

Well written. Inspiring and informative!

Absolutely a fascinating and interesting book that will open anyone's eyes to the true meaning of being wealthy.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    by Rivka Galchen
    Rivka Galchen's novel Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch is a historical fiction tale set in the ...
  • Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase