Reader reviews and comments on Beat the Reaper, plus links to write your own review.

Beat the Reaper

Sep 2009, 336 pages

Donna Chavez

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Beat the Reaper

Susan Reiners

Those with Delicate Sensibilities, Beware!
Despite using an f-word as a noun, this book grabbed me harder faster than just about any book I can think of. It was difficult to put down, and at first I would have recommended it to just about anyone, including my German physician daughter-in-law for my son to read aloud. Later, there were some of the most graphically violent scenes I have ever read. I suppose they did move the story along, and I still liked the story enough to give this top rating, but the nothing-left-to-the-imagination violence is a big reservation. You just know this is going to be made into a movie.

And no, I wouldn't give this book to anybody, certainly not my daughter-in-law or my doctor.

The premise is original, nothing is as it appears, the tale is very funny and intelligent, and--oh, yes--very, VERY graphically violent.
bridgiebee

Wanting Fast and Furious? Read this one!
This is a very funny, fast paced book. Actually a book for everyone who is looking to be entertained! You won't be able to put it down. Beware, if a lot of cursing and foul language offends you; as there is a lot. I loved this book! Only bad thing is it ended to quickly! Read It! Prepare to laugh out loud!
PDXReader

What a ride!
Beat the Reaper is a fast, furious, fun roller-coaster ride of a book, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Its protagonist was unique, entertaining, and three-dimensional. I kept waiting for the plot to take some predictable turn, but it never did; I was constantly surprised by the way events unfolded. It was often extremely funny although I felt it maybe got a little ridiculous there toward the end. This one is definitely on my "recommend to friends" list.

A note of warning: The language is very, very profane. I've been known to talk like a truck-driver myself from time-to-time, and even I found the cussing extreme and jarring, particularly in the opening chapter, where pretty much every sentence contained the word "fhead." The language calmed down after the book's opening, but it was still liberally laced with the "f-word." If such language offends you, you should skip this novel.
Carol K.

Unique Debut
Beat the Reaper is an unique read. Read it for the quirky characters. Read it for its dark humor. Read it because it's one heck of a thriller. Read it for the history, or for the medicine. Read it before it's turned into a bad movie. Read it for the gimmicks; I'm not telling. Read it because it's a debut effort and a new voice in fiction. Read it because it's a real hot book and everybody's reading it. Read it before Bazell publishes a second in the series fingers crossed!
chris muszynski

Beat the Reaper
It was entertaining and a fast pace read. The medical footnotes were enjoyable; however, the absolute negative comments of Poland and Polish people were extremely harsh and untrue. This extreme bias kept me from enjoying the book.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Somewhere in the Unknown World
    Somewhere in the Unknown World
    by Kao Kalia Yang
    Resettled refugees are mostly invisible. Their needs are rarely publicized and their struggles are ...

The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls
    by Ursula Hegi

Set on a German island in 1878, perfect for fans of Water for Elephants.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O