What readers think of Beat the Reaper, plus links to write your own review.

Beat the Reaper

Sep 2009, 336 pages

Donna Chavez

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Beat the Reaper

Susan Reiners

Those with Delicate Sensibilities, Beware!
Despite using an f-word as a noun, this book grabbed me harder faster than just about any book I can think of. It was difficult to put down, and at first I would have recommended it to just about anyone, including my German physician daughter-in-law for my son to read aloud. Later, there were some of the most graphically violent scenes I have ever read. I suppose they did move the story along, and I still liked the story enough to give this top rating, but the nothing-left-to-the-imagination violence is a big reservation. You just know this is going to be made into a movie.

And no, I wouldn't give this book to anybody, certainly not my daughter-in-law or my doctor.

The premise is original, nothing is as it appears, the tale is very funny and intelligent, and--oh, yes--very, VERY graphically violent.
bridgiebee

Wanting Fast and Furious? Read this one!
This is a very funny, fast paced book. Actually a book for everyone who is looking to be entertained! You won't be able to put it down. Beware, if a lot of cursing and foul language offends you; as there is a lot. I loved this book! Only bad thing is it ended to quickly! Read It! Prepare to laugh out loud!
PDXReader

What a ride!
Beat the Reaper is a fast, furious, fun roller-coaster ride of a book, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Its protagonist was unique, entertaining, and three-dimensional. I kept waiting for the plot to take some predictable turn, but it never did; I was constantly surprised by the way events unfolded. It was often extremely funny although I felt it maybe got a little ridiculous there toward the end. This one is definitely on my "recommend to friends" list.

A note of warning: The language is very, very profane. I've been known to talk like a truck-driver myself from time-to-time, and even I found the cussing extreme and jarring, particularly in the opening chapter, where pretty much every sentence contained the word "fhead." The language calmed down after the book's opening, but it was still liberally laced with the "f-word." If such language offends you, you should skip this novel.
Carol K.

Unique Debut
Beat the Reaper is an unique read. Read it for the quirky characters. Read it for its dark humor. Read it because it's one heck of a thriller. Read it for the history, or for the medicine. Read it before it's turned into a bad movie. Read it for the gimmicks; I'm not telling. Read it because it's a debut effort and a new voice in fiction. Read it because it's a real hot book and everybody's reading it. Read it before Bazell publishes a second in the series fingers crossed!
chris muszynski

Beat the Reaper
It was entertaining and a fast pace read. The medical footnotes were enjoyable; however, the absolute negative comments of Poland and Polish people were extremely harsh and untrue. This extreme bias kept me from enjoying the book.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: Windhall
    Windhall
    by Ava Barry
    Ava Barry's debut mystery novel Windhall is centered around the salacious murder of a starlet named ...
  • Book Jacket: Libertie
    Libertie
    by Kaitlyn Greenidge
    Kaitlyn Greenidge burst onto the literary scene in 2016 with her award-winning novel, We Love You, ...
    Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982
    by Cho Nam-joo, Jamie Chang
    'Kim Jiyoung is thirty-three years old, thirty-four Korean age. She got married three years ago and ...
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...

Of Women and Salt
    by Gabriela Garcia

A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

Raft of Stars
    by Andrew J. Graff

A timeless story of loss, hope, and adventure set against the vividly rendered landscape of the Upper Midwest.

The Mountains Sing
by Nguyen Phan Que Mai
Winner of the 2020 BookBrowse Debut Novel Award: A multi-generational tale set in Viet Nam.
Win This Book!
Win The Beauty of Your Face

A New York Times Notable Book of 2020

"Stunning.… A timely family saga with faith and forgiveness at its core."
Marie Claire