Reader reviews and comments on Cutting For Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Cutting For Stone

Lucia Silva

There are currently 33 reader reviews for Cutting For Stone

Jane

Cutting for Stone; Abraham Verghese
Spanning the world of surgical medicine from Ethiopia to the large teaching hospitals of the US, Verghese tells a compelling story of the startling birth of twin boys and the lives they lead through this environment, impacting family, fellow clinicians and patients alike. An engrossing, captivating story, beautifully written....not to be missed !
Leann

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese
I really enjoyed this book, although there were parts that I thought might have benefited from tighter editing to even out the pacing. But, the language is rich and lovely and the characters alive and wonderfully complex. I’m sure that this book will be among the rare few that stay with me long after I’ve moved on to the next . . . and the next . . . and the next . . .
Mary Lou

Cutting for Stone
"Cutting for Stone" is a gripping story that begins in Ethiopia and unfolds over decades and continents. It is a story of coming of age, of passion and of tragedy, but mostly, it is a story of hope and commitment.

Dr. Verghese's descriptions of places and incidents were so vivid, I felt like I was with the characters. looking over their shoulders and eavesdropping. This is one of the best and most well written books I've read in a long time.
Laura

Read this one!
Cutting for Stone is a family saga that has it all - birth and death, sin and forgiveness, love and hate, politics and medicine - wrapped in a balanced and gripping plot involving compelling characters and exotic locations. Verghese tells a great story with none of the overwriting so common to "big" novels. His fiction debut is even better than his outstanding nonfiction (My Own Country). This was the best "curl up with a good book" read I've had in ages.
Judith

Too heavy to put down
Each chapter is short so I found myself reading 'just one more'....and then not wanting the book to end.

I felt as though I were in the doctors' shoes and the medical/scientific terminology was no obstacle to this being an exciting, interesting read.

ShivaMarion caught my heart and made me care each step of the way ... as did all the other characters. I really did get to know them personally.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys well-written fiction with an engaging plot line (or two!)
Pat

Cutting for Stone
The novel takes the reader in and out of the operating theatre. Diseases are described and medical terms are used. The reader learns just as Marion, the narrator, learns the difference between the Art and the Science of Medicine and the blending of the two. Even Matron, a minor character, plays an important role explaining how donated money to the hospital is disbursed. She is courageous and she displays good common sense. Fundamental truths are stated in a direct manner. The story line is compelling and the characters are well rounded. Strange cultural practices are described without passing judgment. As the narrator matures, he learns that life - "you live forward, but understand it backward."

This book will be on our reading list for next year. It is a must read!
Power Reviewer Elizabeth

Lengthy, but good
The story of Shiva and Marion Stone will stay with you long after you turn the last page. It is an unforgettable tale of Siamese twins and their accomplishments, trials, heartbreaks, triumphs, and undeniable bond. Their Ethiopian family's ties and closeness make up the main theme as we also get a glimpse into medical terminology and procedures. It is an immersion into a way of life wrought by strife, war, dedicated doctors, and suffering citizens.

Cutting for Stone is a remarkable book with unforgettable characters. Once you have read the book, you will realize how amazing our health care system is in the United States . You will also realize that there are committed, talented doctors all around the world that do the best they can with what they have in terms of equipment and supplies.

Don't give up because of the lengthy, detailed explanations and slow-moving beginning. As you become attached to the characters, the story unfolds and becomes one you will be glad you didn't put aside. The book is incredible. 4/5 only because of the lengthy beginning.
K Honsharuk

Cutting is Captivating
Well done...very well done. I'm exhausted...at 534 pages, I have been thoroughly engrossed in the lives of Marion and Shiva stone for close to a month. This book had tons of layers...lots of heart and love and warmth and heartbreak and squirm-inducing scenes. cutting for stone is the sort of book I love...crossing time and generations and taking me to places I've never been and will probably never go. and the title is great, too. even it contains tons of layers.

A few minor quibbles...I never felt as though Marion was a REAL character...he almost seemed too perfect. I found it hard to believe his pure and true love for Genet. Shiva was hard to know, too, and I thought some of the story got lost in the medical details. Also felt it dragged a bit during their childhoods. Other characters - Ghosh, Thomas Stone, Hema, sister Mary Joseph, even matron - were much better fleshed out than Marion and Shiva and had better "stories." still, cutting for stone is captivating. Read it.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F