Reader reviews and comments on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus links to write your own review.

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows X

Jul 2008, 288 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Abbee Lloyd

Everything you need.
I am not going to lie, I was skeptical of this book. My mother suggested it and she has a questionable background for good literature, but I am so happy to have nothing but good things to say about this book.

It takes place back in World War II England. London initially and then changes scenery when an early thirty-something female writer (Juliette) begins receiving letters from a strange group of Guernsey Island Citizens. Juliette has grown tired of writing about the sunny side of the war and desires to be in the thick of it. Her correspondence with a group of odd and delightfully entertaining strangers pulls her into the thick of war stories and the tale of a wonderful heroine.

This group of letters will make you cry and get excited for people you have never met, but already feel like you know. From the firecracker wit of the main character to the soft spoken support, I wouldn’t change a thing about this book, and even though it may not be the most fast paced book you ever read, it will make you feel like you are peering into another’s letters and experiences. I commend the author on how she was able to capture the different voices and writing styles of so many genuine feeling characters. When you finish you will have come to know and appreciate a new family. This is a book I will read more than once in my lifetime.
Anna

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Chosen by our book club it is one of the best books I have recently read . I cried and laughed in equal measures. What a sensitive approach to the Occupation of which I knew very little. It has spurred me on to delve a little more into that period of history. I didn't want the story to end. They were characters I felt I would have liked to meet in real life -so diverse and interesting. I can only say that I hope Annie Barrows might re introduce Mary Ann Shaffer's characters again at a later date. For her one and only book a real triumph.
joyce

the guernsey literary and potatoe peel pie society
What a great book!!!! I'm sorry it ended but happy I had the opportunity to read it. I actually cried at the ending.
Louise

As delicious as pie!
It was the name of the book that first caught my eye and intrigued my interest. I knew very little about the Island of Guernsey or its involvement in WW2. The letter writing format made it easy to pick up and put down and I loved how the characters began to grow in my imagination as they shared their stories with one another. Some stories were both fun and light hearted and yet others told of the sad consequences of the German occupation and that time in history. I highly recommend this great book.
Lynn

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
This was the most fun I had reading a book since I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" many, many years ago. The story in some places is very sad, and the history is very interesting, but never do you tire of the diverse characters. Just like in Mockingbird, they develop until you just want more. The book is not life changing or deep, it is just fun. I would recommend this book to everyone. I definitely give it a 5 thumbs up, I would give it more, but I can't.
Lynn

Loved this Book!!
The title is a little of a turn-off, but don't let it turn you away. It is a wonderful, enjoyable book. I literally laughed on one page and had tears in my eyes within another 20 pages. The characters are so wonderfully developed, even though the book is based on letters they have written to each other. I knew nothing about Guernsey or the occupation during WWII until I read this book. The authors introduced some very difficult subjects in a way that made it readable. Get this book right now!
Linda K

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I loved this book partly because I was able to visit the Channel Islands in 1964 and the characterizations of the people rang so true to some of the people I met then. They still talked about Great War and we visited an army hospital and the concrete bunkers that were built by the natives for the Germans. Their isolation during the war was a challenge, but now the people who live on the Channel Islands relish their provincial isolation which gives them a serene and provincial nature.
Lupoman

A Satisfying Read
This book was amazing; it took me just a few hours to read it entirely, and I didn't want it to end.

The characters were full of life; especially Adelaide Addison, she's a piece of work don't you know.

I'm sure that this book will be on discussion groups and book reader clubs far into the future. This is one book that needs to be discussed; it's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but altogether it sums up to be a satisfying read.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a good story.

• Book Jacket: Miracle Creek
    Miracle Creek
    by Angie Kim
    Miracle Creek, the debut novel from Angie Kim, hinges on the mysterious explosion of an oxygen tank....
  • Book Jacket: Courting Mr. Lincoln
    Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard
    19 out of 21 of our First Impression Reviewers rated Louis Bayard's latest novel, Courting Mr. ...
    Transcription
    by Kate Atkinson
    Over her two-decade-plus career, Kate Atkinson has reinvented herself as a writer several times by ...
  • Book Jacket: Exhalation
    Exhalation
    by Ted Chiang
    Exhalation is an assemblage of nine short stories and novellas written by Ted Chiang, a computer ...

Women Rowing North
    by Mary Pipher

The instant New York Times bestseller from the author of Reviving Ophelia.

The Guest Book
    by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
    Entertainment Weekly

Book Club
Her Kind of Case
by Jeanne Winer

A highly-recommended emotion-filled legal drama with three starred reviews!

Win Miracle Creek

My husband asked me to lie. Not a big lie...

A thrilling debut novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Celeste Ng.

I I T S Form O F