Reader reviews and comments on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus links to write your own review.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows X

Jul 2008, 288 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Pat

Are you kidding me?
I read a lot of books and enjoy a wide variety of literature so when this book was recommended to me I couldn't wait to get started. I read about 20 pages and realized that I needed to go back and start again because I must have missed something since I was bored and quite lost as to what was going on. I started over again and then stuck it out to page 114 when I realized that NOTHING had happened and I was still bored. I hate to give up on on a book but with limited time to spend reading for leisure, I just couldn't waste one more minute on this one. I don't know what everyone sees in it. I give it a thumbs down!
Gwendolyn

Lacking Substance
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a lighthearted epistolary novel about an author who travels to Guernsey, a British island in the English Channel off the coast of Normandy. The protagonist, Juliet Ashton, is a writer with a warm personality and an adventurous spirit. As Juliet researches her next book about the German occupation of Guernsey during WWII, she befriends the quirky members of a book group on the island. Although The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is charming at times, this book is mostly lacking in substance. The characters are formulaic, and the plot is entirely predictable. A quick and forgettable read.
Becky

Series of Letters
I loved the premise of this book, the setting, the time period and the title. All of these things intrigued me to read and write a review. As I began reading, the exchange of letters expanded to more and more characters. I finally gave up. The reader must do some work to connect the series of letters into a plot. Too much work for this reader.
Xara

Sucky Book
I hated this book it was so boring and had nothing in it that made you want to read it any faster. The only thing that stopped me from stopping half way through was that I had to read it for school. A complete waste of my time.

• Book Jacket: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    by Ocean Vuong
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, the bold and bracing debut novel by acclaimed poet Ocean Vuong, ...
  • Book Jacket: Daisy Jones & The Six
    Daisy Jones & The Six
    by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    In this evocative novel written in the format of an interview with members of a fictional music ...
  • Book Jacket: The Age of Living Machines
    The Age of Living Machines
    by Susan Hockfield
    In the face of looming global challenges, such as overpopulation, resource depletion and disease, Dr...
    The Mars Room
    by Rachel Kushner
    There is palpable tension between expectation and reality in Rachel Kushner's third novel. The ...