Reader reviews and comments on The Nightingales of Troy, plus links to write your own review.

The Nightingales of Troy

by Alice Fulton

The Nightingales of Troy by Alice Fulton

Jul 2008, 256 pages
    Jul 2009, 256 pages

Karen Rigby

There is 1 reader review for The Nightingales of Troy

Zed Masterson (07/15/08)

The Nightingales Of Troy by Alice Fulton (2008)
This is a gem of a book - in every sense: beautifully written, carefully polished, intensely colored, each story set just so in the century. I suspect that metaphor just got a little more labored than I wanted, but having just finished Fulton's book, her crystalline prose is still ringing in my mind. The intensity of her devotion to her craft, an intensity that has long been her hallmark as one of America's leading poets, shows in her brilliant sentence making, and tempts one to the imagery.

Fulton's ten "connected" short stories involve us, at least briefly, in the lives of the women in an Irish family living in the environs of Troy, New York. Each story takes place in its own decade and the author's ability to make the language, whether dialog or narration, ring with authenticity is a pleasure in itself. (I suspect a great deal of research is hidden in that fluid authenticity.) This is, however, far from a family saga. The short form helps Fulton focus on character and relationships, rather than plot or theme.

The form also fits Fulton's wit and humor. Although there are some intense stories here, touching on suicide and madness, they are balanced by others which give her the opportunity to be funny, really, really funny. Of course, the next story makes you cry, just like life.

I bought the book in the first place because I have always enjoyed Alice Fulton's poetry. The fact that her prose fiction is so good was a pleasant surprise. Now I have put my plate in the book and it will begin its new life, being loaned to my friends as a "don't miss" read.

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R