MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Nightingales of Troy, plus links to write your own review.

The Nightingales of Troy

Jul 2009, 256 pages

Karen Rigby

There is 1 reader review for The Nightingales of Troy

Zed Masterson

The Nightingales Of Troy by Alice Fulton (2008)
This is a gem of a book - in every sense: beautifully written, carefully polished, intensely colored, each story set just so in the century. I suspect that metaphor just got a little more labored than I wanted, but having just finished Fulton's book, her crystalline prose is still ringing in my mind. The intensity of her devotion to her craft, an intensity that has long been her hallmark as one of America's leading poets, shows in her brilliant sentence making, and tempts one to the imagery.

Fulton's ten "connected" short stories involve us, at least briefly, in the lives of the women in an Irish family living in the environs of Troy, New York. Each story takes place in its own decade and the author's ability to make the language, whether dialog or narration, ring with authenticity is a pleasure in itself. (I suspect a great deal of research is hidden in that fluid authenticity.) This is, however, far from a family saga. The short form helps Fulton focus on character and relationships, rather than plot or theme.

The form also fits Fulton's wit and humor. Although there are some intense stories here, touching on suicide and madness, they are balanced by others which give her the opportunity to be funny, really, really funny. Of course, the next story makes you cry, just like life.

I bought the book in the first place because I have always enjoyed Alice Fulton's poetry. The fact that her prose fiction is so good was a pleasant surprise. Now I have put my plate in the book and it will begin its new life, being loaned to my friends as a "don't miss" read.

• Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...

Remembrance
    by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I