Reader reviews and comments on The Outcast, plus links to write your own review.

The Outcast

Apr 2009, 368 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Outcast

Sarah

Emotionally worn out from reading this excellent debut
This book is excellent, I strongly recommend it. It packs some strong punches and leaves you emotionally reeling in places. I had to keep putting it down and taking a deep breathe before carrying on. And I did carry on each time, as it is a compelling read.

The 1950s will never seem the same again - claustrophobic, dark, deep, but oh so polite dahling, anyone for tennis? Many deep issues are covered - and are handled in a very skillful manner by the author who manages to make the incidents come across as horrific as they are, whilst in no way salacious or gratuitous.
Sidney Fallow

It was . . .
Strange hype and accolades for a book that brings new meaning to the expression "the passive voice". Have all these reviewers ignored or missed the almost pathological use of the phrase "It was . . ." Any writer worth his or her salt knows to avoid the passive voice . . . and yet, Ms Jones displays a promiscuity of the passive voice that left me, for one, feeling slighted and ripped off and made me that much more cynical about the state of the book publishing (and reviewing) industry. Have none of these people read Joyce/Beckett/Waugh/Dickens/name any 20th century writer . . . It is depressing, is what it is.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

The Dry by Jane Harper

Winner of the 2017 BookBrowse Debut Novel Award

The Chalk Man
    by C. J. Tudor

Relentlessly compelling psychological suspense. The must-read thriller debut of 2018.

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!