What readers think of Cheating at Canasta: Stories, plus links to write your own review.

Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Lucia Silva

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Beverly

Cheating at Canasta by William Trevor
Trevor's main characters experience profound perceptions of self and situations that bring resolution/acceptance, slowly, ruefully. There is poetry in Trevor's prose -- graceful words and poignant, telling phrases.

From "The Children": "Connie and her father, while slowly coming to terms with the loss they had suffered, shared the awareness of a ghost that fleetingly demanded no more than to be remembered. Life continuing could not fold away what had happened but it offered something, blurring the drama of death's immediacy."

Serious readers are often avid people - watchers, curious about fears, desires, triumphs, loves, cruelties, betrayals: the human condition revealed. This isn't a book to be rushed through, but it is remarkable. I highly recommend it.
Judy

Trevor--A Master of Engagement
I found Cheating at Canasta to be an intriguing engagement between author and reader. Trevor engages your mind to toss and turn his stories, to re-read passages, to reflect on your own experience, and to entice you to consider the "what would I have done" question. Perfect for book club discussions!
Beverly

Cheating at Canasta by William Trevor

Susan

Exploring the Human Condition
Here is a collection of well-written stories about human experiences, not the extremes of grand passion or physical violence, but the more subtle but very real feelings of alienation, frustration, grief, guilt, regret, suffering, distrust, and loneliness. Book clubs will find much to discuss, especially those groups with middle-aged or senior members, since most of the stories are about older people. Be forewarned that all of the stories are about the downside of relationships.
Anita

Cheating at Canasta
William Trevor is a master of the short story. Within a few paragraphs I felt as if I knew the characters intimately. In each story there was always a feeling of anticipation - I never knew where the story would lead and in the end there was always a mystery of something undone or unexplained. I wanted the story to go on and on. This book would be great for book clubs because each story would create many discussions.
Georganne

Great writer, great writing
I've read the author's work before in the form of novels and the occasional short story. At first his ambiguous endings may be off putting, but as you grow used to his style and immerse yourself in his flawless writing you start to enjoy the thoughts and feelings each story provokes. There are many ways to approach each character's dilemma and Mr. Trevor leaves it to you to explore. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although I can see that someone who prefers more specifics and a more definite ending might not. It seems to be an ideal candidate for a book club, as each story could result in much discussion. I would say if you like these short stories, but want more, try one of his novels, i.e., Felicia's Journey, or Death in Summer.
Kathy

Great Stories of Daily Life
I enjoyed all the stories in this book. Each story shows you make decisions everyday, and how these decisions lead to another and effective you at some point in your life. No matter how big or little.
Carolyn

Cheating at Canasta
Twelve short stories, beautifully written. The author gives us a glimpse into the lives and thoughts of many diverse individuals, and we wonder "Why?" or "How could you?" I don't read short stories one after the other, but give each one time to settle. Lots of food for book group discussion here, I think. Just lovely.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Girl in His Shadow
    The Girl in His Shadow
    by Audrey Blake
    The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake is a fast-paced historical novel set in Victorian-era England...
  • Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...
  • Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...

Ariadne
by Jennifer Saint
A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

It was one of the worst speeches I ever heard ... when a simple apology was all that was required.

H I T Best P