What readers think of Cheating at Canasta: Stories, plus links to write your own review.

Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Lucia Silva

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Melissa

Leaves You Wanting More
Many of the stories are open-ended leaving the reader to imagine what takes place after the written page ends. A writer’s job is to bring us into the stories they have written, and William Trevor certainly does that. I look forward to reading more of his work. The only problem I have with this book is that I wish many of stories were longer! But, alas, these are "short" stories. I’d love to read a full-length book about the characters in “The Dressmaker’s Child,” as well as “The Room.” What fascinating reads!
Valerie

Portrait of Our Humanity
William Trevor's collections of short stories reveals the dark side present in all of us. Leaving the scene of an accident, lying, cheating on spouses are temptations many are faced with during their lifetime. Trevor portrays their humanity with empathy. This collection is a very enjoyable and insightful read.
Elyse

Beautiful Prose
Short stories are not usually my cup of tea, and after reading the first two in this book, I thought maybe this wasn't the book for me.

But as I read on, I changed my mind. The prose alone are enough reason to read it - the writing just flows beautifully. The author paints you a picture of place and time, and does a good job of showing who his characters are.

Most of the stories are more vignettes - no beginning and no end. Sort of a "slice of life". All of them leave you thinking.

This is not a book for someone who wants a simple plot, with a definite beginning, a predictable center and a satisfying ending. This is for the reader who prefers to savor each word, and think about what he or she just read when the book has been put down.
Theresa

A Nice Surprise
I am not usually a big fan of short stories, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Trevor's style of writing is easy to read and very enjoyable. I am going to have to read some of his other work.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...
    Factory Girls
    by Leslie T. Chang
    Considering the articles in recent years regarding toy recalls or melamine-tainted milk ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer & Josh Mensch

From two bestselling authors, the true story of the plot to kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

C To T Q

These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves