Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of Angela's Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Angela's Ashes

Sep 1996, 360 pages

May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 87 reader reviews for Angela's Ashes

Kimi

I thought that this book was truly moving and it shows that ther's always someone worse off than you. I also thought that it's unbelievable how much has happened to him and i don't think that i could cope, so Frank must have tried to make the best of his life even though it was bitterly depressing.
Amy

Depressing at times, but fascinating how his spirit is kept alive throughout the book.
Jess Goode

Angela's Ashes is full of humour and misery, but most amazingly, is full of forgiveness. An awe enspiring autobiography which sends out the message that we should never give up hope!

May be I will be the one but I've just keep reading the book in order to improve my English.... Sorry, but I've found it boring and lots of words to say nothing.

I'd never recommend it!
Sly McGillacutty

Book Therapy
Oh - please. And I thought Teacher Man was whiney. What a sour puss! What a lowly whiner. For god's sake man - you had a bad childhood - but this book seems like it was blurted out during therapy. Got tired of the driveling and complaining 30 pages in. Reminded me of my morbid aunt who relishes to tell us who's died and how bad they had it before ducking under.

Hopefully you've made a buck or two and now can afford an egg. I read the last few chapters stinking drunk on Guinness and Canadian Club as a tribute to Frankie’s father! “Oh – I promise to die for Ireland.” Wah wah.

I'm going to bury this disaster in my backyard. I don't want anyone finding it and ending up killing themselves. I'm an Irishman and I'll fight any man who tells me different!!!
novice

angela's ashes
Sorry to say that I did not feel like masses who read the book. I really don't know why the Poverty or Crack or any such thing always gets so popular-- is it the weakness of human mind which becomes kind of sympathetic for these values? To me, It' s just a sad human being trying to draw your attention in a very stomach churning way & if that qualifies for Prizes.. I quit.
jemma miller

i loved this book it was so exciting and you never knew what was going to happen next. i read it three times and loves it each time! Jemma Miller,13, Glasgow.

Amy
I found Angela's Ashes to be one of the best books that I have read. Although I found it hard to get into, by the end of the first chapter I was right. The way that Frank McCourt describes parts of his childhood with no hate or nastyness amazes me. I would not recommend that you watch the film first because without actually reading the words that he writes you can not fully understand the book and the excellent descriptions of events. Although the film is still a good one, it is a disappointment in comparison to the book itself. How a person continues to remain positive and and come out of all he endured a better person amazes me. I was thought a bit curious about how Frank McCourt managed to write in such detail events that happened when he was so young, so i wonder is it all exactly correct. No matter what is said about this book it is a wonderful read and an absolutely inspirational story of a childhood.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You
    by Kevin Wilson

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, a new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

W N, W Not

Honor
by Thrity Umrigar

To make a library it takes two volumes and a fire. Two volumes and a fire, and interest. The interest alone will ...