What readers think of Angela's Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Angela's Ashes

Sep 1996, 360 pages

May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 87 reader reviews for Angela's Ashes

jemale

The author wrote an sense grabbbing novel. In the beginning the I had no choice but to continue reading it. Towards the middle I felt like the book could only get worse because the first chapters were so well written.
erin, 15

Angelas Ashes is one of the most moving, sincere books i have ever read, although it described the pain and hardship of franks life, it did not ask for sympathy. The humour was perfectly placed and rose the tone from somber to cheeky at times.Erin,15
Sarah

Angela and Malachy marry in Brooklyn, New York and have a son named Francis followed by Malachy Jr., Eugene, Oliver and Margaret. Margaret dies soon after she is born from tuberculosis. When they return to their native land, Ireland, life turns out for the worse. Living through the slums with flea infested matresses and no electricity or washrooms the McCourts manage to survive. The story is written from Francis' perspective. I enjoyed this book so much that I felt at times I had to pull myself away from it so I could attend to my other responsibilities. This novel forced me to think upon what I have instead of what I want. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an easy read.
Susie

Angela’s Ashes is a gripping memoir about a young boy named Frank growing up in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. His troubled world is full of death, disease, and starvation which is further complicated by his father’s drinking problem and the depression of his mother. Frank is forced to become an adult at an early age taking on the responsibility of supporting his family while his father is in England squandering away his earnings. Through all his hardships Frank learns to see life in a new light and dreams of the place where he can leave all his troubles behind and start a new life.

Frank McCourt’s tale leaps off its pages creating a vivid picture of his early childhood. Once I started reading this book I couldn’t wait to see what happens in the end. Frank’s life is so fascinating and tragic that it left me wanting to know more. Rarely does a writer capture life’s ups and downs in such a remarkable way. Readers everywhere will be touched by McCourt’s story of survival and growth.

JvTo

Born in the slums of Brooklyn, NY, Frank McCourt embarks on a childhood journey that takes him back to his parents’ homeland, Ireland. In a period of national depression Frank’s family finds no other choice of staying alive than going back to Ireland where they would have to face the hardships of poverty, and bear their father’s reckless vice of drinking away their money.

Angela’s Ashes, by Frank McCourt, is yet one more poignant story that recounts how a child is forced to survive around the ignorance of their ambiance, and the social prejudice that abounds between our human races. It is the story of fighting to see your dream come true.

In this captivating novel I was able to sympathize with McCourt through his accounts of how life treated him and his family, as will anybody else that reads it. The story wraps its readers, zooming in and out of events that forever took a toll on the lives of all of Frank’s family. This novel is a stunning memoir worth to read anytime by anyone; it transports its readers into the Irish essentials and ways of life.

SAM

WELL-WRITTEN.HE IS A GIFTED WRITER.
LiteraryGiant(tb)

A well written novel expressing a depressing life. You will learn much about Frank's miserable Irish childhood but overall it's not an autobiography you wanna read over again. Something so sad can't be loved but yet can't be ignored. Nou it's not perverted it's his life. Di yo want him to lie??
Freddy Wonganoff

I really actually loved the book. I found the book to be inspiring and insightful - and it should definately be a study text - just not in yr 11 - possibly year 12.

Join and Save 20%!

by Kristina McMorris

Members Recommend

Dinosaurs
    by Lydia Millet

"Tender but never sentimental, wearing its intelligence in a low-slung style, Dinosaurs is a garden of earthly delights."—Vogue

W N, W Not

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.