Reader reviews and comments on Because of Winn-Dixie, plus links to write your own review.

by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Mar 2000, 184 pages
    Sep 2001, 182 pages

There are currently 31 reader reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

ariel harris (12/12/10)

good
That was very heart warming but I like the movie better.
Ean Jaffe (12/11/10)

amazing
The book was just amazing. That's all I can say. It just flowed very nicely and I think it will touch the hearts of all whom read it!
kayla (10/14/10)

Because of Winn-Dixie
I love the book it was sad at first then Opal did not have friends now she got some when she got Winn-Dixie. Then she got the Library person and Otis and Gloria Dump. I recommend this book to all the 6 graders.
Sarah (08/20/10)

Wowee!
This book is friendly, in some sort of way its friendly. This book is like a Litmus Lozenge. There are sweet, happy moments, and sad, disappointing ones. I love the author Kate DiCamillo, although this is the first of her books I've read. Perfect for the whole family. 2 thumbs up!
kimberly cabrera (08/02/10)

Because of winn dixie
I liked this book because I really understand it. I had to read this book for my new school and for my fifth grade class Winn Dixie is just like my dog named Diego because in the book Winn Dixie was afraid of thunder storms and he runs back and forth knocking down your dad.

My dog does the same thing but he does not run back and forth he just whimpers. Diego is also afraid of heights and I say that he has to grown up and push away his fears.
katie (04/30/10)

wow
This book was really good. I am in 7th grade and I was doing this for a project. This book is perfect. It explores friendship and curiosity. I recommend this book to .....well........anyone who can read really!
mujahid (03/15/10)

Beacuse of Winn Dixie
The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket--and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor. A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive. Winn-Dixie is better at making friends than anyone Opal has ever known, and together they meet the local librarian, Miss Franny Block, who once fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace. They meet Gloria Dump, who is nearly blind but sees with her heart, and Otis, an ex-con who sets the animals in his pet shop loose after hours, then lulls them with his guitar.

Opal spends all that sweet summer collecting stories about her new friends and thinking about her mother. But because of Winn-Dixie or perhaps because she has grown, Opal learns to let go, just a little, and that friendship--and forgiveness--can sneak up on you like a sudden summer storm.

Recalling the fiction of Harper Lee and Carson McCullers, here is a funny, poignant, and utterly genuine first novel from a major new talent.
Abigail (10/03/08)

Because of Winn-Dixie
I thought this was a very good book because it is about a girl with no friends until she meets Winn-Dixie. Although I read this book for a book club book I still had to read it by myself. I thought that Opal and all of the characters where very good.

• Book Jacket: Hillbilly Elegy

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

O My D B