What readers think of Kira-Kira, plus links to write your own review.

Kira-Kira

Jan 2007, 272 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for Kira-Kira

Takuma

Kira Kira
This book was wondefull. Beginning to the end. Loved this book!
Madi

touching story
This book is wonderful! I just love it. While reading the book, you can feel the character's emotions, and really, it's a book worth reading. The characters change throughout the book. I really suggest it.
Cristina

excellent book
I find that a lot of books for young adults are much more interesting that those written for adults. This book is one that blurs the line between young adult and adult fiction. It is the beauty in the little details that make the novel so memorable. The narrator's observations are at once innocent and yet profound. You get the sense that you know these characters personally because Katie's observations paint such a vivid picture.
Being Asian-American myself and growing up in the South, I identified immediately with the main character's experiences. It was like reading scenes from my own life.
This book is definitely a winner!
Rosalicious

Kiralicious
Kira Kira is a wonderful book about love and dealing with family issues. It also is a good family book because Katie has problems with her family and she doesn't know how to solve them but with the help of her little brother and older sister she might be able to save her sisters life and the life of her family.
Keera Green

Kira-Kira is the most amazing.......
I'm 14-years-old and in the 9th grade. I have just finished reading the book "Kira-Kira" and I just started reading it yesterday! I love this book! I have never really liked readying but when I started reading this book I just couldn't put it down. I think anybody and everybody would love this book. Even though nothing like what happened in the book has ever happened to me, I felt some kind of connection to the book.
Leysha

kira kira
This book was excellent and i think anyone who is loosing a person very close to them will love or anyone who is really close to their family or siblings i give this book a 5 and would recommend it to anyone who can read !!
Dani Popiwchak

Great Read!
It's no wonder that this book god a medal! I really hate reading! But, while reading this book I looked forward to reading a chapter every night! It was an amazing story, that made me cry! I would recommend this to any person who wants to enjoy reading in a big way! Two thumbs very high up!
Sasha

The best book ever!!!!!!!!
I loved Kira- Kira. When I read this book for a book report, I had to write a review, here's what I wrote:
Dreamy, imaginative, and fearlessly observant, Lynn is a golden combination of older sister, best friend, and personal hero for Katie, who is four years younger. Katie's earliest word, "kira-kira," meaning "glittering" in Japanese, is Lynn's favorite, and the source of many discussions about what--the sea, sky, and eyes, especially--best merits this treasured adjective. Exceptionally close, the Takeshima sisters spent time playing in corn fields around their Iowa home, and scheming about the sky-blue house they longed to own before the loss of the family store drove them to stay with relatives in Georgia, a hostile place for Japanese-Americans in the 1950s. With both parents working punishing hours at the bleak, oppressive poultry plant, Katie must care for Lynn when she begins a long, harrowing fight with lymphoma. As Katie struggles to remain buoyant in a wash of sadness, the notion of "kira-kira" becomes more important than ever.

Join and Save 20%!

Foster
    by Claire Keegan

Cradles of the Reich
by Jennifer Coburn
Three women, a nation seduced by a madman, and the Nazi breeding program to create a so-called master race.

Members Recommend

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

W N, W Not

Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness