A Beginner's Guide to Tall Ships
The Red Wolf Conspiracy takes place almost entirely aboard an immense sailing ship (aka "tall ship") with seven decks and five sails, similar, albeit perhaps on a grander scale, to those one might envision in use during the 18th century. Although the book is set in a fantasy world, Redick references familiar ship types and crew positions throughout the novel.
A tall ship* is a large traditionally rigged sailing vessel. Tall ships are defined by their rigging, their masts and, in particular, by their sails. Some of the more common ship types are:
- Fully-Rigged: Three or more masts with square sails on each mast.
- Barque: Three or more masts, with square sails on all except the smaller mizzen mast at the back (aft) of the boat.
- Barquentine: Three or more masts, but with a square sail only on the fore mast.
- Brig: Two masts, with square sails on both.
- Brigatine: Two masts, with square sails ...