Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Mike and Terry have very distinct personalities that mesh to make them an
excellent duo. What aspects of the two characters make them work so well
together? How would the story be different if Terry were narrating it?
- Are Joanies letters to Mike helpful or hurtful to his grieving process?
Why do you
think she left them? Why does he not open her last letter is he just
wishes or do you think there is another reason? Do you agree with his
- Declan Brady is one of several murderers we meet who have moral qualms
their actions. Although they commit atrocious crimes, they exhibit a certain
of compassion. Does their compassion make them at all sympathetic?
- Ike Rose doesnt respond immediately to the terrorists demands,
further destruction. Do you think he shares responsibility for the crimes
place? Would you have handled the situation differently? If so, how?
- To help his brother Frankie, Mike is forced to bargain on the wrong side
of the law.
What do you think this says about Mikes character? Under the circumstances,
his decisions morally acceptable?
- Mike got drunk and paid for sex with Coral C. the night his wife died. He
the relationship with her for six months. What does that say about him as a
As a husband? Did you accept his decision or did you see it as a flaw in his
character? Or both?
- Is Mike a good role model for Hugo Cordner? Is he sincere? What could his
motivation(s) be for befriending Hugo?
- Aside from the two detectives, what characters are instrumental in
mystery? Is there a character that deserves more credit for breaking the
- Terry, Big Jim, Ike Rose, Penina Benjamin and Dean Lamaars father are
some of the characters whose actions as parents affect the course of the
narrative. Who are the positive and negative role models as parents? Do they
mean well? Did you see parenthood as an underlying theme of the novel?
- As you worked alongside Lomax and Biggs, at what point did you uncover
mystery of the Familyland murders? What significant clues tipped you off?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of MacAdam/Cage Publishing.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.