We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of P Is For Peril, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Jun 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for P Is For Peril

J K

Great til the end
I enjoyed the book very much until I reached the (end)? I just drops like someone in mid sentence, no closure, as if missing the last chapter - very very upsetting - couldn't believe it - that was just mean.
Yanique

whose is the murderer?
It is the best Kinsey Millhone series yet...but... what happened to the end?

Wierd...but it was a good book!!
Shawn B

I also thought this was a great book up until the end. It was missing the usual commentary given by Kinsey at the end. I actually went to a couple of bookstores and looked up the book to make sure my copy wasn't missing any pages.
Azhar

I didn't get the ending! I also felt like something was missing. Seems like everyone else in here felt the same way. Does anyone have any idea? I think it was L or P . Someone explain!!!
roy h.

better than previous books, but ending was strange. seems to have
missed something along the way
DebbieR

P is for Peril
Kind of disappointed. At pg 250, nothing had really happened.. and then everything sort of ended without real resolution. Total waste of time!
DoctorJ

Anica and Crystal
A previous reader is correct: When Kinsey first meets Anica, she's fresh from a shower, and Crystal is just then showering. Add that Anica works at an all-girls school (admittedly equivocal), and Crystal is insistent on Leila spending the night at her step-father's, perhaps to give A&C a weekend alone.

The clincher, such as it is, comes at the end of the book. {Spoiler removed}

As I read in a review somewhere, there are no likable characters in this book, possibly excepting the doctor, and then only if he was not involved in the fraud at all.
jan4jc

Not all that satisfying
Even though I figured out "whodunit", I still like the author to confirm it, and that didn't happen in this one.

For those who aren't sure, reread Kinsey's first interview with Anica and Crystal, then reread the last few pages. Pay attention to all the little nuances. (Remember the type of school Anica works at and the fact that there wasn't an affair with Clint Augustine after all.)

Not my favorite, but not my least favorite either.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)